• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Front axle wrap

maxx

Having some moderate to god awful axle wrap on my front axle.

Setup:
Cj7
Dana 60
Shackle reversal
51" Toyota rears + an alcan leaf

Pinion dives to the ground under throttle. Looking for advice on securing it better. My thought was a 1 link from top shackle bolt to u bolt.

2012-06-12_18-02-10_61.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Toy springs are kinda flimsy. Even when I use them in a light toy with light toy axles I add at least 4-5 more leaves to the original 3 top toy leaves.

Its the nature of the beast, you have a heavy rig with heavy axles and V8 power combined with a offcenter pin (pinion side of spring pack is longer).

While a traction bar will help it will not be great. You will be adding a "binder" to help fix a sloppy spring.

Why not add some leaves or build/get a different spring?

Not easy to do a longer perch with the cast perch on the other side.

To be 100% honest I'm looking for the most effective within reason "band aid"

The correct fix will be linking it in the next year

I had a forward shackle set up on my YJ with a ladder type traction bar. I loved it, front digs were great and climbs were even better. I say ditch the shackle reversal and build a traction bar.

IMAG0176.jpg

Ya I regret not doing that now, but its so close I just want to drive it now

V8 and 1 ton axles......1/4 ton leafs. Wrap should be expected. If it was me I would add some more leafs and wheel the tires off of it :awesomework:

Who said I have a v8?

I originally tried using Cherokee rears. I got a good laugh the first time I put weight on them

Who said I have a v8?

Just assumed, guess i was wrong. cherokee leafs are just as weak as toys....still 1/4 ton leafs. If you can fab up your own trackbar then more power to you :awesomework: But i think some extra leafs in there... full leafs and you will be golden :awesomework:

Your front perch is high up from the ground for q good approach angle and you mounted the shackle under the frame so now your springs are mounted on an incline. No **** you have wrap issues... Put the shackle as high up into the frame as possible to make the spring eyes level and add a leaf or 3 to gain the ride height back and you'll be much happier.

Your front perch is high up from the ground for q good approach angle and you mounted the shackle under the frame so now your springs are mounted on an incline. No **** you have wrap issues... Put the shackle as high up into the frame as possible to make the spring eyes level and add a leaf or 3 to gain the ride height back and you'll be much happier.

Didn't notic that, just thought it was camera angle..... I agree though get the packs straight :cool:

Thats about as good as I could get them. They're outboarded so the shackle is stuck under the frame. I don't disagree with what you guys are saying, but its already all there, rides/flex's well. I just need to band-aid the axle wrap until I link the front.

]
Thats about as good as I could get them. They're outboarded so the shackle is stuck under the frame. I don't disagree with what you guys are saying, but its already all there, rides/flex's well. I just need to band-aid the axle wrap until I link the front.

Traction bar doesn't take long to build, and is well worth it.

Just add leaves. You said you wanted a band aid. Couldn't be cheaper or easier. Why build a traction bar if you're going to link it soon?

Trash hit the nail on the head drill some holes in them shackles until you find the right shackle angle and ad some leafs. I actually added a top leaf for a little antiwrap. I also added spring clamps to make the pack work together as it should. Right way spring in tacoma did mine and I had them .made long with a bolt and sleeve instead of the standard fold over. If you want to keep the long shackles put a sleeve and bushing in the frame like a Toyota.

Last edited: