• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

front leaf springs

Chevyjoe

recently picked up a super clean 85 xtra cab toyota. wanting to put the tons i have in so i can move it around. have 63's in the rear already but debating on what springs to run in the front. heres some things im basing my decision on:

- 40 - 43" tires and dont want to cut cab (if at all possible)
- no problem extending the frame as much as i need to in the front
- use stock shackle mounts (if at all possible)
- no problem cutting the fenders
- somewhere around the same lift as the 63's (3")

any opinions are greatly appreciated

See DWT's thread...

O wait:fawkdancesmiley:

:haha: i commented back on that earlier today and nobody else has responded. hes using an ifs frame so he put his shackles where he wanted. im wanting to use the stock shackle mount but not cut up the cab :awesomework:

:haha: i commented back on that earlier today and nobody else has responded. hes using an ifs frame so he put his shackles where he wanted. im wanting to use the stock shackle mount but not cut up the cab :awesomework:

Actually I'm using a 90 2x x cab frame which is shaped exactly the same as a solid axle frame. The shackle tubes are about an inch higher and an inch forward of the factory solid axle location. I'm using 94 4x 51" rears and I was on 42's with the firewall un molested. I just folded the pinch seam at the lower corner so the tires didn't get fawked up..

Actually I'm using a 90 2x x cab frame which is shaped exactly the same as a solid axle frame. The shackle tubes are about an inch higher and an inch forward of the factory solid axle location. I'm using 94 4x 51" rears and I was on 42's with the firewall un molested. I just folded the pinch seam at the lower corner so the tires didn't get fawked up..

I picked up a set of rubicon express reverse eye yj springs for the front so I can get away with that kind of uptravel without pushing my leaves past flat into negative. I think it'll work out rather well, only time will tell eh?

did i read that wrong from pirate or did you change springs? im really not wanting to move the shackle hanger. i was wonder about rear xj springs or maybe some chevy 52s/56s? i have no idea honestly, just throwin out some thoughts :rolleyes::flipoff:

I haven't swapped the front springs yet. I'm just trying to get the fawker put together to wheel for awhile before I go tearing it apart some more. It's been down since last november.. :booo:

For what you are wanting to do a 51" yota rear is a great choice as is an xj rear. Shorter gm springs would work but they would force you to move the front hanger out a ways so you'd have a bad approach angle.

leaf_springs.png

For what you are wanting to do a 51" yota rear is a great choice as is an xj rear. Shorter gm springs would work but they would force you to move the front hanger out a ways so you'd have a bad approach angle.

wow, thats an awesome table, thank you :awesomework:

do you think the approach angle would really be that bad with a 40"+ tire though for the trails around here? (with the shorter gm springs)

wow, thats an awesome table, thank you :awesomework:

do you think the approach angle would really be that bad with a 40"+ tire though for the trails around here? (with the shorter gm springs)

No it wouldn't be too terrible but it isn't great when you compare it to that of a yota rear. The GM spring is about 4" longer on the short end.

Trashy do you have a better picture of that table? or a link to it? It dosnt blow up very well :redneck:

This truck has third gen rears too. Also a set by step on the install process.
http://www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47583
And its a straight axle frame too. The deflowered truck is an 85 straight axle frame too.

Here are the same springs on a sami even. http://www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35871

In case you couldnt tell I like third gen rears. Got two pairs here ready for two more rigs.

Good springs, work well. They just need some added support to last (extra leaves)

thank you for the links chop shop! ill make sure to check those out. if i do end up deciding on going with the 3rd gen rears, would you been willing to sell one of the two ready to go sets you have? thanks

thank you for the links chop shop! ill make sure to check those out. if i do end up deciding on going with the 3rd gen rears, would you been willing to sell one of the two ready to go sets you have? thanks

Both are for trucks already.

Good luck finding them. While not impossible, its getting harder. These two came after going to 8 wrecking yards.

Both are for trucks already.

Good luck finding them. While not impossible, its getting harder. These two came after going to 8 wrecking yards.

no worries. i went through those builds and noticed that the biggest tire run was 38s. i did notice that both rigs were still running toyota axles so i should be able to get a little bigger tire with the tons.

when you ran the chevy springs at first in your deflowered rig, they were 4" fronts. would you think that a set of 52" rears would give me that much worse of an approach angle compare to the 51" yota rears?

i guess what im sayin is that i already have a couple sets of 52" chevy rears and cant really see how the 1" difference from yota rears would really make an effect?

when you ran the chevy springs at first in your deflowered rig, they were 4" fronts. would you think that a set of 52" rears would give me that much worse of an approach angle compare to the 51" yota rears?

i guess what im sayin is that i already have a couple sets of 52" chevy rears and cant really see how the 1" difference from yota rears would really make an effect?

Never used a 52 chevy spring an any wheeler I have ever built.

whats yalls take

whats yalls take on using all pro off road or TG front springs i have the chevy 64s in the rear and toyota stock rear springs in the front of my 82 p/u now i like it...... that plus the 2 inch body lift and i am clearing 38.5x15x15 boggers

however, it is a very bumpy ride it seems like i get a bad headache from my neck getting kinked up from bouncing around everytime i go out...

especially when i am in the rocks or backing off a rock like the V-Crack at walker the front end bounces alot

i think it would be better if the suspension was alittle stiffer

my takeis yaalls needs the punctuation a grammer we can so read you what rite my brain bleed wont K.

what can't you understand?

own thread???:scratchhead:

1) this thread was about front springs for a toyota right????
2) a recomendation to you was to use 51" toyota rear springs.. correct?
3) i have those (51" rear yota springs) on the front of my toyota.. so i was listing my pros and cons with running the setup you are being told about. i wanted to share my conclusions to that setup and ask about the other companies springs..
4) my question falls inline with your question on "front leaf springs"
therefore the answer to my question would shine light on the answer to your question.

IF IT IS THAT BIG OF A DEAL WE CAN HAVE 2 THREADS ON FRONT LEAF SPRINGS FOR A TOYOTA RUNNING A 39-40 INCH TIRES

BUT WHAT WOULD BE THE POINT IN THAT