• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fuel pumps

sexxy

My wifes 2002 suburban is about to be on its 3rd fuel pump in less than 1year. Replaced the 1st one between thanksgiving and Christmas 2014. Went to about end of march or April 2015 and seems to be taking a dump again. Died at a red light and has not started. I have replaced the fuel pump each time with ac delco. Usually fill all my gas vehicles at 2-3 stations when needed and have not had any trouble from the others. Any ideas?

I went through 3 or 4 on my diesel all in a row. I'm talking between 5 miles all the way up to 200 on one. Whatever the last one that went on has lasted for 8k miles now, so only time will tell.

Just a question does she have the same habbit as my wife?? Running on e all the time. My wife says I still got 50 miles when the light comes on. Always heard low fuel level lets the pump run hot and the heat burns em up??

kevinhumphrey said:
Just a question does she have the same habbit as my wife?? Running on e all the time. My wife says I still got 50 miles when the light comes on. Always heard low fuel level lets the pump run hot and the heat burns em up??

Yes, but she is in the other vehicle more. Thats what has me wondering.

My .02. Have you checked voltage/ amp draw on the given circuit? Too much could mean a voltage regulator gone crazy, even factory stuff. Also, check fuel pressure. IF you bought the vehicle used, the previous owner could have replaced it with the wrong pump with more pressure and you could be doing the same. Just my little pee brain trying to help. :dunno:

Re:

Most times this happens when your fuel filter / regular is going out. It not letting it return making it over heat the pump.

kevinhumphrey said:

This ^

Cracksrubi said:
Another thing is are you replacing the intank filter as well

Yes each time I have changed pump. I was able crank and drive about half a mile and died again. According to parts store code reader it has a fuel pressure sensor bad. I think it was a po452, will double check tomorrow when I'm at the vehicle again.

When I replaced the pump in my 2000 it died on the test drive. I figured out that the connector was slightly pulling out because the locking clip was stretched. Installed a new connection and never had another issue.

This probably isn't your problem but worth checking.

Are you using the factory plug or did the pump come with a new one? I know alot of them come with an updated electrical connector that gets spliced in.