• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Full float VS. semi float axles...

Depends on what your doing with them. Full float is good because it keeps the weight off the axles and on the spindle and bearings. Plus you have 2 tapered bearings verses one.

On the other side the hub won't stick out on a semi float and you can run the same size shafts.

I kinda like the spidertrax full float hubs that use F450 unit bearings. I know there unit bearings but my little ranger wouldn't hurt them I don't think.

If you want to run 8 lug then full float is easier/cheaper/better. If 5 or 6 lug then semi float is easier/cheaper/better. Thats really the only deciding factor for me.

I don't see cost being an issue in going FF if you stay with standard D60 & D70 junkyard ends.

I've never had an issue with hub sticking out on the rear axle...I don't think it's ever seen any rock rash.

I like the fact that the weight of the vehicle is supported by the housing & bearings and the torque/power are handled by the axle shaft.

Just for clarity, the "F450" unit bearings are the same ones as on the F250 & F350 Superduty's with the D50 front.

My TJ rears are 40 splined. That mandated a semi-float.
My YJ rears are 35 splined, full-floated with the WARN kit.

Both have advantages. If I was worried about breaking the shafts, I'd go full float. I'm not. Ergo Semi-float is simpler, easier to maintain.

Full float is easier to service the detroit, because you can pull the axles without pulling the hubs, however with 40 splines, I do not think I can break an axle, so I shouldn't have any Detroit worries either.

It's pretty even either way.