• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

full hydro questions

wagonslayer

when running hydraulic steering do I still need to run power steering/atf or can I use bulk hydraulic fluid thats much cheaper ?

when running hydraulic steering do I still need to run power steering/atf or can I use bulk hydraulic fluid thats much cheaper ?

You put an expensive hydraulic steering system in and want to save a couple of dollars by using CHEAP fluids?

Where's the logic in that?

You put an expensive hydraulic steering system in and want to save a couple of dollars by using CHEAP fluids?

Where's the logic in that?

If you look up the Data some of these "cheap" fluids have higher boiling points than power steering fluid.

I ran full hydro for a while on a previous rig and don't understand your terminology of "expensive hydraulic steering system", at the time it was 1/3 to 1/2 the price of just setting up a "good" high steer power steering system. Oh yea and it worked great for what it was.

I ran Hydraulic fluid in my full hydro with NO problems. Some of the high $$$ pumps have such a high GPM rating that if the fluid is too high a viscous rating it will litteraly blow apart (these manufacturers will tell you what to run).

Lots of people are running the Amsoil tractor hydraulic & steering fluid with great results. Pumps are lasting longer and everything is working better. But it is expensive and the opposite of why you were wanting to run hydraulic fluid.

My point is that when you're talking a couple of quarts, why would you make PRICE the deciding factor when you've gone to the expense of a hydraulic system? Makes more sense to put in the best fluid you can find. The few extra bucks will probably be worth it.

My point is that when you're talking a couple of quarts, why would you make PRICE the deciding factor when you've gone to the expense of a hydraulic system? Makes more sense to put in the best fluid you can find. The few extra bucks will probably be worth it.

I see your point but when you have a line break on the trail are you going to keep enough of the high dollar stuff to refill the system? So rather than buying 3 or 4 quarts at $7 a quart you are now buying 6-8 quarts. I run the cheapest dexron III available at wally world, it's like 6 a gallon and I keep 2 gallons with me just in case.

Wagonslayer sure you can run "tractor fluid" if you want to but it is still more expensive than dexron III, why not just keep a few gallons handy, your trans takes the same stuff. :D

One nice thing about full hydro--is the most effective and efficiant system--you can tell by the fact of how cooler it runs to something with a gear box...

One nice thing about full hydro--is the most effective and efficiant system--you can tell by the fact of how cooler it runs to something with a gear box...

werd. I have a relatively small cooler on mine but I also have a reservoir off of a kenworth that has a filter and holds about a gallon of fluid. After a hard day of wheeling it is just warm to the touch. :D

Just gotta be sure you don't over travel the steering stops... If you have a 8" travel ram with the stops set out too far or the ram is directly behind the tie rod you are asking for issues with wearing tre's out and eventually busted knuckle parts. Let the ram dictate the travel of the steering and set the stops accordingly.

dont make sense does it?:rolleyes::haha::haha:

I laugh at friends that will tell me to run the best synthetimalube and whipzam additives to something im going to change, spill, leak, burn and etc.

Then they order lunch off the dollar menu!!!!

**** that, eat steak yourself before you feed lobster to your pumps and gear boxes.:haha:

I laugh at friends that will tell me to run the best synthetimalube and whipzam additives to something im going to change, spill, leak, burn and etc.

Then they order lunch off the dollar menu!!!!

**** that, eat steak yourself before you feed lobster to your pumps and gear boxes.:haha:

Exactly, I installed the complete TG (fawking joke) kit on a buddies runner. They recommend some fully synthetic valvoline **** for $8 a quart... Once pump started dying and the ram and hoses started leaking all that spendy fluid out and he sent that garbage back if for warranty I convinced him to change that **** reservoir out for a larger one with a filter and run dexron III. Problem solved... Now if the ram and hoses would stop leaking again... :haha:

I ran napa hydraulic fluid for a year and half. Worked fine but in the winter it got cold and had to warm up otherwise the pump would be noisey.

Went to amsoil synth fluid 8 months ago and noticed a immediate improvement. Mainly the steering works fine after beating on it all day where the napa oil didnt, It got too hot i guess.