• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Full hydro with Six Shooter Knuckles

adamp

Quick question if anyone runs the setup. I just ordered a ton of parts to throw this Toyota buggy together and now that it has all shipped I'm wondering if I ordered the right parts.

Ordered PSC double ended 6" stroke ram and Trail Gear Six Shooter Knuckles. I know 6" stroke is typical for mini truck outers but I didn't do my research on stoke with the knuckles before ordering everything. All going on FJ60/FJ62 axles but doesn't make a difference on knuckle stroke.

Thanks in advance!

6" is what you want for a toyota axle with mini truck outers. I would definitely upgrade all 12 knuckle studs to some ARPs and run a trunion bearing eliminator kit if the TG six shooter knuckles allow. I ran full hydro on my yota axle for a while with 4-bolt hi steer arms and it worked out as well as it could.

Ok thanks. I did order the trunion eliminator kit, ARP studs for the high steer arms, and 8 more for the lower caps as well. Hopefully it holds together. I just started to wonder if the six shooter arms were longer/shorter and would in turn require a different stroke ram.

Re:

I can't remember exactly but JD had the fj hellfire knuckles and arms..I think his 6" ram might have been short as it didn't turn as sharp as my mini truck 6shooters. But that can be remedied by moving the mount on the arms closer to the pivot point

6 shooter knuckles with 6'' trail gear double ended ram on mine. Maxes out the knuckle to the inner ball. Have it set on the stops both directions. Nature of mini truck axles they turn like a school bus

Re:

Rokcrler said:
I can't remember exactly but JD had the fj hellfire knuckles and arms..I think his 6" ram might have been short as it didn't turn as sharp as my mini truck 6shooters. But that can be remedied by moving the mount on the arms closer to the pivot point

JD's truck was running a fj80 front axle, which is wider, in return actually needs a 8" ram. Also, you'll have to drill out the steering arms, so they'll accept the heim bolts.

The reason the Hellfire knuckles need more stroke is because the holes on the steering arms are further away from the CL of the kingpins which creates more travel of the tie-rod laterally.

jordan7118 said:
The reason the Hellfire knuckles need more stroke is because the holes on the steering arms are further away from the CL of the kingpins which creates more travel of the tie-rod laterally.

Bingo! That was my concern. I was worried the six shooter high steer arms were longer/shorter requiring a different cylinder.

Thanks for all of the replies. Everything is delivering tomorrow and it sounds like I'm good to start building based off of the responses.

stuftmunky2k said:
6 shooter knuckles with 6'' trail gear double ended ram on mine. Maxes out the knuckle to the inner ball. Have it set on the stops both directions. Nature of mini truck axles they turn like a school bus

I couldn't believe how much turning I got out of my full hydro PSC 6" ram with Toyota axle. I was used to never being able to turn running Toyota axles....that ram will put the knuckle to the very limit of rotation without hard contact (steering stops out).

Latest posts