• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

full manual valve body

jasper

If someone could explain to me what the difference between a regular full manual valve body and one that has engine braking. Is the engine braking even needed?

jasper said:
If someone could explain to me what the difference between a regular full manual valve body and one that has engine braking. Is the engine braking even needed?

Do you like standing on you brakes every time you go down a steep trail? Put your trans in neutral next time you do and tell me how much better you feel with it in 1st gear now

Manual VB is the only way to go in my opinion. You get a much better feel for everything.

TCI part # 221100 is just a regular manual valve body. Part # 221200 has an engine brake feature. Is the engine brake one needed. I kinda thought the regular one locked in 1st would do it anyways. Does that mess of a question even make sense.

No on race cars you don't want the engine braking you would want it to coast when you let off but on say a time attack car you would use the engine braking to slow you down entering a turn instead of heating up your brakes. Your prolly gonna want the engine braking for how you explained how you thought it worked. The one without will hold it from shifting until you "manually" shift when you let off the gas it will just coast. I f you choose the engine braking option it will use the engine to bring the rpm back down instead

I may have screwed up today and ordered the one with the engine braking. Now that we've talked about it. It may be comparable to a Kubota sxs we have at work. Let off the gas and it's like laying on the brake. That would be nice down hill but suck everywhere else.

You want engine braking. I've had a manual valve body without it and it sucked.

jasper said:
I may have screwed up today and ordered the one with the engine braking. Now that we've talked about it. It may be comparable to a Kubota sxs we have at work. Let off the gas and it's like laying on the brake. That would be nice down hill but suck everywhere else.

I have a Kubota sxs and I've had several rmvb with engine breaking... it's not the same at all.

Re:

I put a manual with a brake in my buggy with this last trans and I hate it. When "testing" a hill, like running up on it light throttle before the real assault you have to knock it into neutral or it kills the engine. When cruising down the access roads if you downshift or stomp it and let off it will drag the back tires violently. Yes downhill its OK but not enough to make me want to deal with the other peculiarities of engine braking. If it wasn't such a PIA I would put my old manual VB without braking back in.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

Engine braking works in first and second gear. You WILL want engine braking. Do the reverse valve body and full manual as well. If you put your trans in second gear, it takes off in second, not first. Works real g ood trying to crawl a ledge. if you can't crawl it just pull it I'd second, bump it, put it back if first,away you go.
Reverse valvbody also allows you to go from first to reverse without going through the other gears. Reverse manual valve body with engine braking, should be all one word in off road.

Re:

infamous1 said:
I put a manual with a brake in my buggy with this last trans and I hate it. When "testing" a hill, like running up on it light throttle before the real assault you have to knock it into neutral or it kills the engine. When cruising down the access roads if you downshift or stomp it and let off it will drag the back tires violently. Yes downhill its OK but not enough to make me want to deal with the other peculiarities of engine braking. If it wasn't such a PIA I would put my old manual VB without braking back in.

Something is wrong there. I've had 2 rigs with engine braking and neither killed the engine when I did that.

Re:

patooyee said:
Something is wrong there. I've had 2 rigs with engine braking and neither killed the engine when I did that.
X2 my buggy has it and the only time it seems harsh is down shifting from second to first. Besides that it's smooth and doesn't affect the engine at all.

Re:

infamous1 said:

What transmission? Sounds almost like you converter is perpetually locked up or something.

Elliott said:
Does it put pressure on the reverse gears to do the braking or what?

I don't know how it accomplishes it but a stock valve body has engine braking. A manual valve body with engine braking shouldn't act any differently than a normal, stock, OEM valve body other than having full manual selection of gears. It is the non-braking valve body that differs from stock the most.

You know how, in your daily driver, if you're cruising along and down-shift the auto it slows the car and revs up the engine? That's compression braking. A valve body without compression braking would act as though it was in neutral when you did that, not slowing the vehicle or revving the engine at all.

For offroad use, don't think so much about the engine slowing you down as your tire speed keeping engine revs up.

Yes its nice to have the engine help hold you back on a downhill but whats even nicer is for engine revs to stay up to keep your power steering working well.

I bought a turn-key built th350 from summit and it has been great to me, but engine braking in 2nd especially is something I really miss compared to my last valve body. If I pull it to check it out this off seas!, thats the one change I need to make to it.

Tapatalking in traffic

Re:

Its a TH-350 trans, same stall as last setup just freshened up the clutches, rolerized, and added the "mandatory" RMVB with 1-2 braking. Works good crawling and killing just not in between. If I hop up on big hills in 1st and roll back it off will actually kick the engine over backwards and spit through the intake. I just neutral bump it now but occasionally I still forget. And the 2-1 downshift is brutal if you forget its a reverse VB under full throttle looking for 3rd haha.

Re:

infamous1 said:
Its a TH-350 trans, same stall as last setup just freshened up the clutches, rolerized, and added the "mandatory" RMVB with 1-2 braking. Works good crawling and killing just not in between. If I hop up on big hills in 1st and roll back it off will actually kick the engine over backwards and spit through the intake. I just neutral bump it now but occasionally I still forget. And the 2-1 downshift is brutal if you forget its a reverse VB under full throttle looking for 3rd haha.

That isn't normal

Latest posts