• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

full manual valve body

Re:

muddinmetal said:
That isn't normal

Nope, not at all normal.

Although I agree, the way people talk about RMVB's it would seem that they are an off road requirement. I prefer a stock valve body with a Winters shifter that simply has a custom gate that allows you to get to reverse in one motion.

patooyee said:
I prefer a stock valve body with a Winters shifter that simply has a custom gate that allows you to get to reverse in one motion.

x2 This is the way to go. No $$ spent on an aftermarket valve bodies. Just install a shift recalibration kit in the stock valve body. Then get a good shifter. I have a stock valve body in the TH350s in my Jeep and buggy. Shift pattern being PRD21 I can shift from 1 to R fast enough I see no reason it needs to be faster. The winters gate prevents shifting into park so not issue there.

RustyC said:
x2 This is the way to go. No $$ spent on an aftermarket valve bodies. Just install a shift recalibration kit in the stock valve body. Then get a good shifter. I have a stock valve body in the TH350s in my Jeep and buggy. Shift pattern being PRD21 I can shift from 1 to R fast enough I see no reason it needs to be faster. The winters gate prevents shifting into park so not issue there.

I forgot the reprogram kit. Transgo makes a $50 reprogram kit for full manual with compression braking on a TH400. I would think they do a TH350 as well. This is what is in my last buggy's TH400.

RustyC said:

this. I have a th350 with reg manual valvebody and the winters gate. we trimmed the gate between 1-2 so I can get to reverse pretty fast, but I prefer the PRD21 pattern as well

jasper said:
If someone could explain to me what the difference between a regular full manual valve body and one that has engine braking. Is the engine braking even needed?

I went with the engine breaking and now looking back wish I didn't. I really dislike downshifting and getting whiplash when going to first.
I'm hopeful changing torque converter to one with a higher than stock stall will help but I don't know if it would.

Gittinit said:
I really dislike downshifting and getting whiplash when going to first

In what scenario is it necessary to downshift to first when you are going so fast that it gives you whiplash? I have never once found the need to do that.

patooyee said:
In what scenario is it necessary to downshift to first when you are going so fast that it gives you whiplash? I have never once found the need to do that.
it's prolly a story that starts with "One time at band camp"

I do a manual 2-1 downshift pretty often in a racing application, but a well-timed throttle blip is all thats needed to make it smooth.

I run the billavista shifter setup and love it. I modded the gates to make p-r easy, I can slam r if needed (which is never needed when racing but handy for wreck wheeling and playing on stupid stuff) and if I squeeze, I can confirm I'm in D. No eyes needed, all by feel. With a kickdown hooked up I run in D most of the time unless I need to stay in a lower gear for some reason.

Tapatalking in traffic