• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gauges - Water Resistant/Proof?

ToledoDan

Was considering running the Auto Meter Ultra Lite II on the bouncer, but after speaking to the folks at Auto Meter they said these gauges are not very water resistant. They steered me towards the Pro-Comp Liquid filled gauges like this..
https://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Meter/105/5431/10002/-1

Planed to mount them inside pods like this. https://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Meter/105/48007/10002/-1

Bouncer is to wide to fit in an enclosed trailer so it could see 70mph down the highway in the rain.

Just curious how other's gauges have held up to the rain/mud etc.

I run the ultra-lites, dunno if they're the 2's though. They've never so much as fogged up on me. My tach is even facing the sky and regularly has water sitting on it. Even the pressure washer doesn't seem to phase them. I'm not saying he's trying to upsell you but...

Beerj said:
I run the ultra-lites, dunno if they're the 2's though. They've never so much as fogged up on me. My tach is even facing the sky and regularly has water sitting on it. Even the pressure washer doesn't seem to phase them. I'm not saying he's trying to upsell you but...

hmmm...added them up its about $200 difference for tach, water temp, oil pres, trans temp fuel gauge. I think the big difference is the ultralite is incandescent lit and the ultralite II is the II is LED lit. not sure how much better they would attempt to seal one over the other. Not sure the tech I spoke to at Auto meter was the sharpest...asked him about the IP rating and he acted like he had no idea what I was talking about. even tried to explain it to him. that when his arrogance began to come out as if I could teach him anything. Most of the time I am pretty good with a wrench and if that doesn't work I can normally fix it with a hammer, but electrical don't know much about but I can at least understand the larger number after the IP generally means better protection against dust/water ???.

Auto meter has a rebate going until 8/31 so going to try to get these ordered before then.

Gotcha. Mine are definitely the incandescent. That being said, the bulb doesn't have a super tight seal which I suppose might actually help. At least if any water does get in, it maybe has a way to get out as well.

You can get the led bulbs on eBay like $8 for 10, lots of colors. I just put white leds in mine last weekend.

I ran the Ultra Lite gauges with the incandescent bulbs in my last rig. I'm also considering them for my current build. They were always open to the elements and pressure washer spray. I never had a problem with any of them.

I think I am going to skip the ultra lite II and just get the ultralite and replace the incandescent with LED that way I can make the lights blue - thanks for all the recommendations

I ordered the 2 1/16", hope I don't regret not going with the 2 5/8". my eyes are still pretty good thanks to glasses, and this Rockwell rig won't be going 80mph down any roads so I hope ill be fine

Same as above I have the ultra light gauges in mine. The backs are inside the dash (I use that term loosely) but I pressure wash them and all. I have had no issues fogging or anything. Mine are from 2011.