• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

rear radiator /water pump GPM ?

bigs10blazer

we have a rock bouncer , it has a rear mounted radiator , electric water pump and cooling going through the frame(tubing), the water pump is rated at 35 GPM,thermostat is 190 with a 1/4 hole drilled in it for constant flow,radiator is mounted 2-3 inches above engine, but the coolant doesn't flow through the radiator as fast as i think it should,if you open the cap you can see it flowing , the rig stays good most of the time, but it seems like with the set up it should stay cooler, it has a fairly big three core radiator with a good single electric fan, there is no air in the system,

do you guys run a 'helper' water pump for better flow ?

If it is flowing you should be fine bc you meter the flow with the tstat if it isn't staying cool swap to better fan setup

At 35 gph you're turning over the whole cioling system every 8 or 9 seconds..... should be way more than enough....

Soooo are you having an overheating problem or just imagining one based in looking in the radiator?

gottagofast said:
At 35 gph you're turning over the whole cioling system every 8 or 9 seconds..... should be way more than enough....

Soooo are you having an overheating problem or just imagining one based in looking in the radiator?

Is that giving the water enough time in the radiator to adequately reduce the water temp?

With the engine off and the water pump on ,your hand over the radiator hoses and you can feel the water flowing, if you take the radiator cap off you cannot see coolant flowing, but the radiator is warm on both sides so I know coolant as getting back there and flowing through but at 35 gallons per minute at seems like you should be able to see the water flowing more than what it does

mac5005 said:
Is that giving the water enough time in the radiator to adequately reduce the water temp?

From billavista.

The myth is stated as either:

Coolant can be pumped too fast through the engine for it to absorb enough heat, or Coolant can be pumped too fast through the radiator for it to cool properly, or Cooling can be improved by slowing the flow of coolant through the radiator so it cools more completely.

NONE of these is true. The simple truth is that higher coolant flow will ALWAYS result in higher heat transfer and improved cooling system performance.

I'm not saying billavista is the end all be all of info but there's usually some pretty solid info on there.

Beerj said:
From billavista.

The myth is stated as either:

Coolant can be pumped too fast through the engine for it to absorb enough heat, or Coolant can be pumped too fast through the radiator for it to cool properly, or Cooling can be improved by slowing the flow of coolant through the radiator so it cools more completely.

NONE of these is true. The simple truth is that higher coolant flow will ALWAYS result in higher heat transfer and improved cooling system performance.

I'm not saying billavista is the end all be all of info but there's usually some pretty solid info on there.

Good to know. I was seriously asking if it were a legit issue.

Re:

Are you running a shroud on your fan/rad? Plenty of room around it for airflow?

When you feel the 2 hoses, can you notice a temp difference?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

IF you want more flow, ditch the T'stat and run a restrictor plate. Full time flow and can adjust it with different size plates which will adjust temperature as well.

ADMINISTRATOR

You don't need to see the flow... you need to see the temp gauge pointing in the right direction

if you want to try a restriction plate all we do at work is take a buffer (or file) and knock the peened ends of the hoop off. then you can easily gut the thermostat and just run the plate.

another thing however is it a top/bottom tank rad or a side tank rad? if side no matter how fast its flowing (within reason) you arnt going to see the coolant moving. you especially arnt going to see it with the engine off the thermost will close faster thank you think with a engine not running and the coolant at full flow.