• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gear install in Seattle Area

tilt

I am looking to get my 4.88s and lockers installed in my Jeep sometime in the near future. I picked up a used ARB for the front Dana 30 and new Yukon gears with the basic install kits for the D30 and D44. I am still waiting for a deal on a locker for the rear, but will likely get a Detroit or ARB. I bought the Jeep new last August, so the bearings are still fresh (only 4k miles).

Anybody local do side jobs? or recommendations for a shop that is reasonable?

I think I paid like $150 per axle to do a locker/gear swap on my YJ 7-8 years ago from somebody on Snort4x4 forum. I would love to get that deal again.... :D

His name was Ken and he was out of Lake Stevens. That's as much as I can remember..

What's the going rate these days?

When I bought my tires last August I asked the 4WP people and they quoted something like $800 for both axles - which seems overly steep.

Try Dan @ NW Differentials in Totem Lake/Kirkland. last I knew he was 225 per + parts for a setup. Quality work and fast turn around.

His name was Ken and he was out of Lake Stevens. That's as much as I can remember..

What's the going rate these days?

When I bought my tires last August I asked the 4WP people and they quoted something like $800 for both axles - which seems overly steep.

Ken is long gone--ripped some folks off and bailed out of the area....

Depends if you are looking for driving the rig there or bringing the axle housings in...

I would take it to Auburn John (avanteone).

He is fast, KNOWS jeeps inside and out, and is a legit bizz with a great rep.

Plus he is a VENDOR here.

Support your local vendors.

Ken is long gone--ripped some folks off and bailed out of the area....

Depends if you are looking for driving the rig there or bringing the axle housings in...

That's too bad.

But, I would definitely want to drop the jeep off (and pick it up same day if possible) as its my DD.

Thanks for the recommendations!

I would take it to Auburn John (avanteone).

He is fast, KNOWS jeeps inside and out, and is a legit bizz with a great rep.

Plus he is a VENDOR here.

Support your local vendors.

Seconded. John (Avanteone) is a good guy and knows his stuff. Bought many random parts from him and wheeled with him, and he even let me use his shop to replace the radiator in my old Toyota while I was down there one time... hours away from home and overheating driving down the highway. Can't beat that.

Plus he has a rockin' stache! :011:

Last edited:
That's too bad.

But, I would definitely want to drop the jeep off (and pick it up same day if possible) as its my DD.

Thanks for the recommendations!

I do dozens of them but unable for the whole rig and mine are all just diffs by themselfs. But the $800 doesn't sound bad for complete drive in/drive out.

Another for John. Quality work. Which is well worth saving a few pennies if something in a diff eats its self.

northridge is doing complete drive in/drive out for $1000 including gears and install kits.

Yeah, I saw that. Dave says "we're gonna try and piss off all the other shops" LOL. Dave and I are friends, and I dunno how he's doing that, but keep in mind that those normally are "minimal" install kits that don't include ALL the bearings and stuff.

Yeah, I saw that. Dave says "we're gonna try and piss off all the other shops" LOL. Dave and I are friends, and I dunno how he's doing that, but keep in mind that those normally are "minimal" install kits that don't include ALL the bearings and stuff.

the catch being you have to goto silverdale :fawkdancesmiley:

I'm guessing they also have some of the install kit stuff in bulk, reducing costs...

You'd have to buy sooo much of each component in bulk, that it would not be cost effective to do, as there are so many different diffs that take different bearings, shims, seals, etc....and you'd have to stock it all....Not to mention I don't think the price would be any better than buying the kits to begin with...The 'kit' people already are buying in HUGE numbers to stock their inventory... My .02...
For a legit shop to do F&R gears for $1k out the door including full install kits, they aren't making their margin on parts, or they aren't making their labor--pick one....might even be a little of both...

David gets all my business, and I just did this special with him on my rubicon. Yukon gears and master overhaul kits with timken bearings.