• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gearing For Bouncers

A Ford

Got a question for you guys. What gearing are you running in your bouncer type rigs?

T case gearing
Axle ratio
Tire size
RPM

Those would all be helpful.

Thanks. Kind of what I'm looking for but not exactly. In trying to figure out if I should keep my current tires for playing on the hills or go bigger. Its a funky combo. I can't change my axle gears or T case. But I can change tire sizes.

Goal is to race with the 205 in high range on 49" tires.

For trail wheeling and maybe some bouncer hills if I feel froggy Ill put the case in low and throw bigger tires on it.

Now here's the funky part. It only revs to 4,000rpm max. Axle gears are 6.14.

You better have one hell of a motor and transmission if you plan on running the 205 in the high side with 49s

don't think it'll happen unless you're running huge HP. I'm 500+ on 43s and there's no way I could kill hills in high range. can I trail ride and race certain obstacle courses in high range, yes. better have tons of cooling as well. 5.38s in my diffs

unless you are running planetary axles that are like 22:1 then you won't be on the high side with 49s!

Or a helicopter engine. :wtflol:

Maybe you should tell a little bit about your rig, and why you can't change or add gears?

You would never keep transmissions in it with that gearing, Rockwells are 6.72 and I always ran low range on 44's

Its a diesel not a gas engine. Haven't had it on the dyno but have a pretty good idea of what it makes. Ill go with 500+ since I don't have a sheet. It turns 49" tires in high range just fine.

Trying to decide between 49's, 54's, and 59's for on the trails.

Axles are Meritors.
NP205 case

Photobucket is being stupid and won't work. Its the Shell Shock mega truck. Just was curious what some of you guys are running so I get an idea. With a limited RPM band it makes gearing pretty important.

4.56 and 3.0 atlas and mine is fine on 43s. I can trail ride, race, ride around whatever. I don't have much of a crawl gear but who cares! :woot:

BUG-E J said:
4.56 and 3.0 atlas and mine is fine on 43s. I can trail ride, race, ride around whatever. I don't have much of a crawl gear but who cares! :woot:

That's what I'm looking for, Thanks. How many RPM do you turn it?

DallasBlade said:
What I was wondering... :popcorn:

Well I mean, the suspension and all is set up the same, right? Hell I'd go with the 59" tires and not an inch less. That higher center of gravity will be perfect for killing hills. :****:

TacomaJD said:
Mud truck on bouncer hills? Definitely make sure someone videos and posts it here. :rolf:

Its not like a typical mega truck. If I could post a pic it would be easier to understand. It has no drop cradle, has a flat belly, has trailing arms, its 106.5" wide and 81" tall on 49's.

Anyone have a way to post a pic other then Photobucket?

Roll tide, I mean coal!

bbdb58fd8d9393ef663699a001b733d5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TacomaJD said:
Roll tide, I mean coal!

bbdb58fd8d9393ef663699a001b733d5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That's it but that's a old pic. It had 12.4's and 1 tons then. Its now lower, on Meritors, different suspension, and on 14.9's.

Its in the beggining of this video.
https://youtu.be/opHU73P1k2M

Unfortunately I had some engine issues and only had it out twice this year, ran like crap both times. New engine is almost ready to go back in, that's why In asking this.

BUG-E J said:
It will get the Rev limiter quick in all 3 gears in low. 5200

That's what I'm looking for, Thanks again.

A 16.9 24 (53") with the case in low would be real close to where your at but have a bit more wheel speed.

A Ford said:
That's what I'm looking for, Thanks again.

A 16.9 24 (53") with the case in low would be real close to where your at but have a bit more wheel speed.

Am I missing something? Neither of you said what trans you were running, so how are you figuring RPM and wheel speed with a ratio missing? Just curious.

A Ford said:
That's it but that's a old pic. It had 12.4's and 1 tons then. Its now lower, on Meritors, different suspension, and on 14.9's.

Its in the beggining of this video.
https://youtu.be/opHU73P1k2M

Unfortunately I had some engine issues and only had it out twice this year, ran like crap both times. New engine is almost ready to go back in, that's why In asking this.

I seem to remember there being a fire in SC. For picture hosting, I'm a fan of imgur to replace photobucket. Lots more from that event here - https://scottspics.smugmug.com/MTS-Thunder-Valley-Mudplex-race-Feb-24-25-2017

1zLmWtxh.png