• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gearing For Bouncers

squeak12 said:
I seem to remember there being a fire in SC. For picture hosting, I'm a fan of imgur to replace photobucket. Lots more from that event here - https://scottspics.smugmug.com/MTS-Thunder-Valley-Mudplex-race-Feb-24-25-2017

1zLmWtxh.png

Thanks Scott. Just a little tiny fire.............like 3 times. Should have that pesky oil leak fixed now.

My trans is a C6. Im assuming his is a turbo 400. If its a OD trans then guess my calculations are wrong.

A Ford said:
Thanks Scott. Just a little tiny fire.............like 3 times. Should have that pesky oil leak fixed now.

My trans is a C6. Im assuming his is a turbo 400. If its a OD trans then guess my calculations are wrong.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I've seen a fancy schmancy calculator that does all this for you, but I remembered having to put trans ratios in as well. Just wondered how you were comparing apples to apples without that info.

Just going off final gear. Not too worried about the lower gears if I had the money a glide would be going in it. Torque is one thing I have a abundance of.

Since this got more in depth then I intended, what's your opinions on it? If I were to lets say put a SCS. case in it and could use any gear what would be a good gear for it? Can't change the trans or diff gears so that would be the only way it could happen.

Can run it on 49's, 54's, or 59's.

C6 trans with E4OD 1st and 2nd.

4,000 rpm limit.

Ill have the converter re stalled so that's a non issue.

I have a th350. And your convertor will affect your ratios also. Honestly I would run a 410 gear if all I did was race. I can still trail ride my buggy. I use 2nd gear mostly when I am beating on it cause first just goes straight limiter

I'm planning on doing some trail riding and might run up a few of the hills, just depends on which ones. Right now even racing I rarely get into 3rd gear. The course is just too small and you can only hit jumps so fast to setup for the next one. I don't have the funds to go blown alky, so its time to go do something the diesel might actually be good at.

just for some info.....

th350
5.38s
43s
3.8 atlas
stall is 2700

rev limiter is about 6400 (solid guess). according to the calculators, I top out at 37mph in low range. that was at 6200rpm

and cool rig btw

Thanks. Just trying to make due with what I have to work with.

According to the calculator it would be 52mph in low with 16.9 24's (53"). Judging by my experience so far with this engine 1st gear will probably act like low range and not be used much unless Im crawling.

For what it's worth I'm running a 3.0 atlas, th350, 4.10 gear, 43 sticky and a 3000 converter. I can bang the rev limiter at 7200 in 2nd and pedal it on about any hill and in drive it's so damn fast I can't Keep up with it and can still blow the tires off if I want. Trail riding is great also with that gear as well but as for rock crawling I can't say.

With a diesel, you don't have the rpms like you do with gas. That is why a diesel can put down amazing power, but not be near as fast as a "comparable" gas motor at the track.

He has to be careful not getting "too much gear" for wheel speed purposes.

muddinmetal said:
With a diesel, you don't have the rpms like you do with gas. That is why a diesel can put down amazing power, but not be near as fast as a "comparable" gas motor at the track.

He has to be careful not getting "too much gear" for wheel speed purposes.

Exactly. Gearing has been a pain the entire time Ive had this engine in it. Wasnt near as big of a deal when it had the nitrous big block. It likes numerically higher gears then a gas engine will, that's why I run it now in high range. I know its not perfect, a 1.2 or 1.3 low range would be about spot on. Although I haven't sprayed it yet since it was rebuilt so that may have helped. Im measuring for a SCS straight through case now, that might be the answer.

After looking at what you have and unable to change. 4k governor, 6.14 axles.
Your options are one or more of the following,
Larger tires. Pros easiest to change and not as "permanent" Cons tires over 44" can hurt the trail riding experience.
Transfer case. Pros next easiest to change, can get the ratios you need. Cons you already have a strong case (205) that can work, Cost of aftermarket case.
Transmission. Pros a 4 speed would allow more use of low range, putting the higher E4OD gears back in the C6 is an option. Cons the cost and may not fit chassis.

RustyC said:
After looking at what you have and unable to change. 4k governor, 6.14 axles.
Your options are one or more of the following,
Larger tires. Pros easiest to change and not as "permanent" Cons tires over 44" can hurt the trail riding experience.
Transfer case. Pros next easiest to change, can get the ratios you need. Cons you already have a strong case (205) that can work, Cost of aftermarket case.
Transmission. Pros a 4 speed would allow more use of low range, putting the higher E4OD gears back in the C6 is an option. Cons the cost and may not fit chassis.

Its a difficult decision for sure. On 49's 2 to 1 is too much, but 1 to 1 isn't enough. Id love to do the SCS but they are expensive and I have a new engine being built right now so the funds aren't really there for that. I had thought about a E4OD but that can't happen either because its too long. Its rear engine and makes the front driveshaft too short. Don't want to lengthen the wheelbase any longer since its already at 127".

Latest posts