• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

gearing

johnboy1

so i want to go with taller gears for my 2wd toyota simply because it tops out too soon. i checked the vehicle code which was F292. that meas it has a 7.5" diff with 4.10 gears and it is 2 pinion open diff.so i was thinking of just getting an 8" from an 85 or older 4wd truck and then buying a new ring/pinion. who would be a good place to go through.

The 8" diff is totally different from your 7.5" diff.............it will not work in your housing.
Just regear it and be done.

The 8" diff is totally different from your 7.5" diff.............it will not work in your housing.
Just regear it and be done.

thats why i was gonna get a COMPLETE rear end for a pre '85. housing and all. but if it would be cheaper for the 7.5 i might just stick with that.. for a little help i run 205/40/R16 tires. right now i think i top out at around 110, i think. thats just an estimate. that would also be pushing some serious RPM's. i go through the gears quicker than i would like to. 1st is about 20mph, 2nd is about 30. but thats being gentle on the RPM's. any ideas as to how tall i should go?

what are you doing with it that you need to go more then 110?

...what wouldnt i do... my last 2wd toy smoked a BMW that tryed to pass me, uphill, and i had a bed full of trash. this one i want to go really fast. when i go to change out my clutch (soon) im gonna have my dads shop mill down the fly wheel till its about 9lbs for fast rev's.

well you can go too 373 gears and that will let you get more top end and go with an 8 inch :awesomework:

so would i have to get a hold of Randys R&P to get gears. because i cant seem to find and in the 3.73 flavor. unless someone can tell me which toyota came stock with the 3.56's. in which case i would just get those.