• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

German Shepherd

benfowler87

I've decided that I want one. Only problem is that there is none to be found right now. If anyone has any ideas let me know! Post up your experience stories if you have any. Planning on it being a house dog, so how hard are the to house break??

I grew up with German Shepards until I was in college then we are switched to Weimaraner's.

They are excellent dogs. Not hard to house train, but they like to chew on furniture if they get bored. Good to keep lots of good chew toys around. And they shed something fierce.
They'll go anywhere with ya, act like a person dont realize they are dogs. They typically dont wander off, and add a fear factor to anyone that doesnt know them.
Only bad thing is the Hip Dysplasia.

Bones also had a German Shepard, Chloe. Hope he'll chime in.

Not sure what you think of Weimars or Vizslas (red slightly smaller version of Weimar). They make excellent house dogs, and are very protective. Having had both I prefer the IMO smarter Weimar.

GS are great dogs a couple close friends had them. Very smart well behaved dogs, good with kids only issue was the hips on both & had to be put down.

I just put my Chloe down last September. Best dog I have ever had.

Sit down and enjoy this read....~12 years ago my then wife and I put down our first dog a 2yo Shep/rott mix for reasons the vets could not figure out. A wire came unhooked in her brain I think. Fast forward a year and we area ready for another. I wanted a Rott, but then the breeding of them was questionable, so we decided on a Shepherd. Found a breeder in Central MO and went, picked out a male. I went out solo to go get him a couple week later once weened. He was a large pup and I think he was 8-10 weeks. Typical puppy bs, chewing, potty training, the dog was SMART. The dog was MEAN! Couple months pass and We enroll Foster in obedience classes and he is terrible at listening....TERRIBLE. Trainer was a GS lover and worked with us to no avail. She suggested we get a female because "the females put males in their place." FML I do not want two dogs in our then 2BR house. We go to the pound via her referral and there is Chloe, 18 mo old, skin n bones (didn't ever eat while kenneled) and about to be put under. We snatch her the F up.

Foster DOMINATED her and was larger than her and he was a year younger. He was super smart, hide a tennis ball and he'd find it. He'd sleep on the couch and if you pet him he'd bite from a dead sleep...no ****. Chloe did nothing and wanted nothing to do with him. So obedience training with both dogs now. Foster still is an asshole and the trainer asked for the breeders name and the dogs parents. We get her the info and His parents "were not supposed to be bread...they are both very aggressive". Gee thanks, we paid $700 for this dog, shots, fixed and we have young kids on the block we don't want issues with.

Last straw...taking dogs to the park for a walk. Load them in my 86 4runner, lifted, etc. Side windows open for air. Foster jumps out at 15mph. face all bloody, I get out and go to get him concerned and he bites me again. WTF!

SO...obedience lady informs up Levenworth State Penn takes in dogs to do drug searches and whatnot and if selected you can write off dog expenses, etc. SIGN ME THE F UP! They come get Foster and I go to work (wife worked nights). I get a call in the afternoon from the wife saying he failed...too young, but there is a MO Trooper looking for a dog. I said cool, let's set up a meeting. No need, I told them to give him to the cop. WTF! We had a ton invested, sure he was a ****, but we GAVE him away.

We are down to Chloe and life was good. She never gave us any issues that are not expected with a pet. Even my Mom loved that dog. I get 'divorced' and at the convenience store to get a 30 pack and carton of smokes. I get out of my Tacoma next to a K9 car and this BIG GSD growls at me. I pee a lil, but it was familiar, real familiar. Go inside get my staples and ask the cop about his dog and if his name happened to be Foster. Cop replies "yes, yes it is" I ask if he was a good dog. he says "he's a great police dog, wish he wasn't fixed". I asked how is with family. he says "he's a good police dog" with a big grin on his face "family is not allowed near him" WHOA! That's Foster.

Pros
-Smart
-Obedient
-Family dogs (aside from Foster)
-Great indoors
-Protective
-Ninjas are skerd of em

Cons
-Shed A LOT
-Grooming is a lot of work
-Hip issues
-Mine had ear hematomas which required surgery in both

Here's my baby the day I put her down. Still brings me to tears typing this :'( Sharp as a tack, but hips were shot. I was offered a 2yo recently that is a nice male with tons invested in it for free, but it's in Iowa and a helluva dog. I am just not wanting pet responsibility right now.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Oh and I am not a firm believer in buying from a breeder. I have and had good and bad luck, same with pound or free to good home pups

I'd still lean towards a pound puppy or rescue that's 12-18 mo and has all the shots, fixed, house trained knocked out for ya. This is for any 'breed'. Assuming you are out banging chicks and not an at home family man, it's just simpler.

Great story Bones! They start out as just a "damn dog" and end up being part of the family....I love the hell out of mine.

Might want to look at a lab also. ;)
Zoey....
Picture019.jpg

We have always had labs and just ready for a change. Everyone I have talked to said that they are just super smart. Yeah bones I stay gone a good bit but I still live at home. My parents are there all the time so that wouldn't be an issue.

About what age do the hip issues start?

I've always had gs just put the last one down last year. You either get a good one or bad one. The aggressive ones are over bread and aren't worth a **** except for cop dogs. They are super smart but stubborn as **** also. I switched to a block headed lab and he is the best dog I've ever had. Will not leave my side and does anything I tell him. Fairly good around kids and has no prob watching the house when we are gone. He's pretty intimidating at 110lbs and almost 2 years old.

Bones said:
I just put my Chloe down last September. Best dog I have ever had.
Still brings me to tears typing this :'( Sharp as a tack, but hips were shot.
This is long so skip it if you don't have much time, but I saw your deal about Chloe. My "growing up" family dog died a month ago, today. He was a rat terrior but he thought he was bigger than anything. Here's what my dad wrote about him on my brother's website. I thought it was very good and worth sharing, cause believe it or not I do have a soul. Just a big gay soul!

Hi, I'm Grant's dad. It's a very sad day at the Haley house today. Grant's best friend Comet passed away yesterday. Comet came to be a part of the Happy Haley's in December of 1994. That's right he was 16! I don't know what that is is dog years but it is way over 100!

We got him from our good friends Jerry and Alice Grandon right before Christmas that year. This picture was taken of Grant and his pup soon after we got home. We asked Grant and his brother Clint and sis Dana what we should name our new little rat terrier. I don't know if it was because it was Christmastime and he was named after one of Santa's reindeer, or if it was because he was Haleys' Comet. Either way the name stuck and he became a very important part of our kids growing up years - especially little Grant, who seldom went anywhere on our farm that Comet wasn't right there with him. We have so many pictures of the two of them together.

Although Comet was a farm dog who killed mice and moles (and an occasional baby kitten, ouch) and lived outside, he would often sneak his way into our house when there was a thunder storm, opening day of Dove season, or the fourth of July because he HATED loud noises. Kathy and I still laugh when we think about how Comet used to jump 4 feet in the air to look in our back door window when a storm was approaching. If you opened the door even a crack he was in like a flash.

Last summer when I came home from one of my many trips to Lincoln Nebraska to see Grant I couldn't find him. I yelled for several minutes before I located him stretched out in the sunshine taking a nap in our yard. I kept hollering his name right up to where he was sleeping and he never looked up. I realized then he was stone deaf! Now you can say it was coincidence but I believe he was so connected with his master Grant he gave up his hearing to see what Grant had to go through. It was a blessing for him to finally not have to be afraid of loud noises any more!

Well I could go on for hours telling you stories about our beloved companion; how he always met you at the car after work to say "Hi", or run circles around Emma and James when they came to visit, or how happy he was to see me bring him home some chicken wing bones to snack on. (No, he never, ever got a bone caught in his throat.)

Last winter was like this one and had lots of snow and very cold temperatures. Comet had a doggie door so he could sleep in our warm garage, but it was hard for him to keep any meat on his bones, so he was looking pretty puny. I told Kathy I feared he wouldn't make it through til spring. But I believe he was not going to give up before he saw his favorite human again! He made it through and waited patiently to see us come up the road with his beloved Grant. He waited all spring, summer, and fall until finally on November 21 he saw our van pull into our driveway, and when we opened the door there he was! The two of them couldn't contain their excitement. Grant said he really didn't think he would ever see his best buddie again.

After that Grant never asked about Comet. He has been home several times since then, but I think they said their goodbyes that day, even if it was in a way you and I can't understand. I don't know how or when to tell Grant about his passing, and I know he will be sad, but I also believe he will be a little relieved that his old companion, one that was there to celebrate his achievements and also there to lick the tears from his face when he was sad, is finally not hurting any more.

So long old pal. We will miss you.

Mine were always sketchy, but her main issue was simply walking on non carpeted flooring. Total fish outta water on hard woods. Her hips never 'gave out' nor was diagnosed with dysplasia. She just had bad joints and getting through this past winter snow would have been impossible.

She really started being less energetic around 8. Always was a lazy dog, never a "want to go everywhere with ya' kinda dog. Not like most GSD's I have known.

ive had 2... one was a white gs yellow lab mix (Cheyenne). had to put her down 2 years ago she lived to be 12

we have a current one that is a full blood white gs that we adopted from the pound (sierra) a week after Cheyenne died, couldn't stand the empty house and not being greeted at the door when you come home.

so far sierra has been an awesome dog! we got real lucky finding her. she is also a great guard dog. very playful in the yard, great around kids.
38415_1404945636352_1013700049_30972423_3115997_n.jpg

167631_1661981822096_1013700049_31479940_1448235_n.jpg

only con for them is the amount of shedding. but other than that couldnt ask for a better dog thumb.gif

Bones said:
I am just not wanting pet responsibility right now.(9:16am) That it! I am calling Sam and looking into that free to good home 2yo male. FAWK!(12:19am)

Wow that did take very long! thumb.gif Hopefully it turns out to be a good one.

benfowler87 said:
Appreciate all the info guys! I'm definately game on for getting one, just no luck on locating any yet. gonna keep digging! :fish:

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/AL80.html

I have picked up my last couple of Basset hounds from rescue societies and have ALL worked out great. These are dogs that have been abandoned or relinquished to vets. Check this out as they are a couple of good looking Shep's on there for adoption in your area Ben. thumb.gif

benfowler87 said:
Appreciate all the info guys! I'm definately game on for getting one, just no luck on locating any yet. gonna keep digging! :fish:
If you want details on the one here in Iowa, something can be worked out to get him to 'Bama

beauxflex said:
Wow that did take very long! thumb.gif Hopefully it turns out to be a good one.
Oh I know I don't need a dog right now, but seeing the pics makes me want another badly. Awesomely badass shedding fawkers

You can also look into belgium malinois, very good dogs and similar to the shepard but no hip problems, little smaller,and faster. Ive have had one for 5 years started on the police force and when i left i retired the dog and turned it into a home protection dog. shedding is minimal very loyal .

I was in need of a couple watch/guard dogs recently and lucked out big time. Co-worker of mine breeds belgian malinois and giant schnauzers, the majority of them get put into police training. In over 20yrs of breeding he had his first accident and his giant stud got to his newly aquired $4500 belgian. Next thing you know I have 2 solid black champion bloodline mutts! for free ;D They both have the face of the schnauzer, the female takes after a shepherd in build and the male more the schnauzer, big boy only 9wks. Both of his breeding schnauzers are 100# and that looks like where my male will be headed.
Just did an acre in invisible fence, as long as they keep any and everbody the hell off my property they'll be rewarded everyday thumb.gif