• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Getting more out of a hydro assist

Bobbo3234

Just wondering if what type of tweaking I can do to get my hydro assist to perform better. At times it still seems pretty tough to get everything moving. What types of tricks do you guys have up your sleeves?

You can usually drill and shim ur power steering pump for more flow nad pressure. It all depends on what pump u have or u can go to a after market pump.

drill the pressure side of the pump orfice..judt go a little at a time..a little goes along way..too much will make your pump whine.. I believe 3/16 is key,,but take too much out and your fawked..

Like everybody has stated bobby work on the pressure side(pimp) of the system. I fully agree when I worked on your rig I thought the hydro asist was waek. Do a search on google--you won't be lacking info...

How to drill you PS pump output oriface... This is a must do, without it your steering will be hopelessly slow.

http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/powersteering.html

I tend to disagree with pressure mods. The system is designed to run at ~1500 PSI, and going above that just puts undue strain on things without making a significant difference. Instead, consider a larger ram (if in fact pressure is the issue). The proper size of ram will depend heavily on the mounting style. It's all about the leverage.

Bobby, what size ram are you running, and what throw does it end up using lock to lock? Pictures?

You might also verify you running pressure... Not easy, I know, but I've got a little guage you can borrow if you can get it plumbed into your system.

CrustyJeep said:
How to drill you PS pump output oriface... This is a must do, without it your steering will be hopelessly slow.

http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/powersteering.html

I tend to disagree with pressure mods. The system is designed to run at ~1500 PSI, and going above that just puts undue strain on things without making a significant difference. Instead, consider a larger ram (if in fact pressure is the issue). The proper size of ram will depend heavily on the mounting style. It's all about the leverage.

Bobby, what size ram are you running, and what throw does it end up using lock to lock? Pictures?

You might also verify you running pressure... Not easy, I know, but I've got a little guage you can borrow if you can get it plumbed into your system.

I sent my pump to west texas offroad to get the hydro assist set up originally done. Should all these mods already be done to the pump?

Lots of advise for a system that has no details. What do you have man? Your problem may not even be hydraulic, snap a pic of the mechanical linkage and attachments.

Latest posts