• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Getting stuck with a 2wd towrig?

Turtle Bite

I have been thinking about buying a new towrig as I am getting really tired of towing with my F150. I am looking to spend about $6500 or less and the cleaner lower mileage cummins and powerstrokes are not really there. I am thinking of getting a 2wd but I use the 4wd on my truck alot and I am worried that I am going to be getting stuck all the time without it?

Anybody buy a 2wd and wish they never did?

My chev was a 2wd--and I had a couple scarey stuff happen towing--love having 4wd--plus I can throw the wife ion the rig when it ges bad out and not have to worry about her...

My rig is a 2wd dually. I'l like to have a 4x4, but then I would have payments agains. I've had a few scary time heading upto Evan's in the snow.

havent got it stuck yet, but havent towed in the snow with it cause Id rather not be stuck. Im looking at getting a 1st gen 4x4 cummins :redneck:

Basically I have a 97' F150 that has 160k and it is getting tired. Original motor and tranny and I have been working it HARD. I think I have already put 800 towing miles on it this year and I did around 2500 towing miles on it last year.

I would like to get out from under this truck before the trans goes tits up at 170-190K and I am out $1500. I absolutely need a truck as I haul bark, motorcycles, axles ect in the back regularly. So my options in the 6000-6500 range are:

2wd Powerstroke/ Cummins

4wd gasser 3/4 ton with ~140k

4wd gasser 1/2ton with ~140K

I am basically weighing towing comfortably on the highway and chancing getting stuck in the snow.

I got my dodge cummin's at a killer deal traded a running driving 89 toyota excab 4x4 for it it's a 93 excab 1 ton deully 2wd but if I was out looking to spend $$ I'd get a 4x4 no matter what it's just nice to know if you get stuck you can pull a lever and bam your unstuck

I know you can buy the 93 and older dodges for that price all day long but I couldnt stand daily driving one of those. It will probably come down to what I can find for a good deal, but if I do find a decent 2wd I am thinking I might jump on it. HMMM

I know you can buy the 93 and older dodges for that price all day long but I couldnt stand daily driving one of those. It will probably come down to what I can find for a good deal, but if I do find a decent 2wd I am thinking I might jump on it. HMMM

what's your price range so I can keep an Eye out for ya

Last edited:
It's kinda funny I was going to show you that site.There repo's not a thing wrong with the vehical's or their prices I kinda like that white crew cab chevy duelly I think it was a 99:awesomework:

when shopping for repos look for two things. the first kind of owner knows that the rig is going to get repoed, they tend to fry the tires off and dont stop till the tranny or tires are toast.:mad:

the second kind of owner has no clue they are coming and you usually get a good rig for cheap.:awesomework:

look the tranny and engine over to see if they are real clean or look to be new or rebuilt. if they are, chances are the lot fixed it so it can be sold and even if it works fine, it is a sign that other things have been abused but did not fail yet. some repos have more damage than some theft recoveries and some are super nice! buyer beware look real good and you will find a winner for cheap:awesomework:

just keep your eyes out. i got a 97 dodge 2500 diesel standard cab 4x4 5 speed for 6000 it does have just over 200,000 miles on it. but the deals are out there. just dont rush it thats what i found out i waited and it came. and now that i have a 4 wheel drive tow rig i cant think of having a 2 wheel drive tow rig. ive had to use my 4wheel drive way more then i expected.

Last edited:
Go 4x4, i have gotten stuck in my front yard in 2wd, luckily i popped it in 4 and out it came. I'd hate to be in a 2wd and not have the 4 with a load on, and obviously shitty conditions, leading you to be stuck, in a relatively easy place for a 4 wheel drive.... Especially if we're talking about a wheeling tow rig, not a show car, race car tow rig....:beer: