• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Getting the Shaft

nick c

Lewis & Clark bitches!
So who is running what for their D60 shafts and joints?

I looked at Yukons and thats probably where I will end up going unless someone posts a better option.

What are you running, what'd you pay, have you ever had a shaft/joint break if so, how'd your warranty go?

basically looking for some reviews on the various options.

Bobby's 60 CV joints look sweet but are a bit out of my price range. :booo:

Ill be running full hydro, spool, and 40-42" TSLs (either boggers or swampers)

when i did my 60 in 2004,i went with stock spicer inners and spicer 35 spline outers,thats what i could afford at the time...figured when it broke ide upgrade it then.....and it hasnt happened yet...was on 38.5s then to 40s and now on 42s...ive broke my share of front d-shafts,but i keep a 1310 joint in the front shaft as a fuse...its cheaper to fix than an axleshaft....this is in a K5 blazer,with a built 350 4 speed and doubler....and a lock rite up front...

Beg, borrow, steal, pimp.........whatever you need to do, buy Bobby's CV's, they are the best on the market!! I love mine + they have a lifetime warranty. :cool:

Beg, borrow, steal, pimp.........whatever you need to do, buy Bobby's CV's, they are the best on the market!! I love mine + they have a lifetime warranty. :cool:

They are very strong.....Down at the hammers odie was getting pissed that he couldnt make a line so he said fawk it move out of the way...hit it on the rev limiter as he got close to the top his front end bounced up 4 feet in the air and 6 feet to the side.........still under full throttle on 47s........when his tire made contact again they wrinkled up like a drag tire and then he let off the throttle. If they were to brake they should have then.

I don't think I'd get much money by pimping myself out.

As for the lifetime, don't most aftermarket shafts come with a full lifetime warranty?

but what good is a lifetime warranty when you on a Hammers trip and the nearest parts are 5 days away.

get the cv's and don't worry.

I just did this and my thinking was

spicer joints hold well but when they break they take axles (normally)

super joints won't break, but are a real pain due to the constant maintenance. If you forget, or push it a bit much, you are buying another.

Longfield cv's won't break and require very little maintenance.

In my opinion, it was worth the extra money to do it once.

OK so Longfield CV's are the sh*t. I'm being pursauded, slowly.

How about the fact that I'm running a spool. His webpage says they don't recommend running tires over 49" or Spools with the CVs. Am I voiding my warranty by running a spool?

I'm also trying to make this decision my self. I don't think yukons are even a choice as the steel they are made from is china junk. A buddy of mine just had a 44 axle built by R&P in portland with yukon shafts and superjoints they told him that the superiors weren't worth the extra cash. Well first trip out in the snow he busted the joint and the ears off both the inner and outer on the long side. Dutchman warantyed the shafts and the joint but it still broke and on 33" tires.

My big problem is for superiors custom length dana 60 35 spline inners, outters, and ctm's I,m lookin at $1500. The longfields are $1850 shipped.
For an extra $350 you get the bling and peace of mind.

Jerry

I as many of my buggy friends(Mauler,Roccrawler,etc) are currently running Dana 60 Yukons and superjoints. There is nothing wrong with this setup as if you seen many of us wheel we are not exactly easy on them. Make sure you upgrade the outers to 35 spline and you will be ok. Bobbys cvs are a great way to go if you have the extra money to spend though.

OK so Longfield CV's are the sh*t. I'm being pursauded, slowly.

How about the fact that I'm running a spool. His webpage says they don't recommend running tires over 49" or Spools with the CVs. Am I voiding my warranty by running a spool?

It does not say we will not warranty them. Our supplier Rockford and us don't recommend spools in the front, yes it is really hard on birf an u-joints an your steering as well. I know a ARB is the same but you don't run it all the time.

I'm also trying to make this decision my self. I don't think yukons are even a choice as the steel they are made from is china junk. A buddy of mine just had a 44 axle built by R&P in portland with yukon shafts and superjoints they told him that the superiors weren't worth the extra cash. Well first trip out in the snow he busted the joint and the ears off both the inner and outer on the long side. Dutchman warantyed the shafts and the joint but it still broke and on 33" tires.
Jerry

Sounds to me like the Ujoint's at fault, not the axleshaft.....:eeek: I'd agree, though for the few extra bucks, the Long's would be my choice---

Longfield, Will Mad's outer axle seals fit your shafts? Or is there a better option? I want to protect my investment as best as possible!

Thanks Jerry

I flog my Yukon shafts with superjoints.The curent set has been to the Hammers,Pheonix and wheeled twice a week for the last couple months.

I DO GREASE MY SUPERJOINTS AFTER EVERY DAY OF WHEELING!! With the wet conditions and overt parnoia I'm a maintinance freak and HATE being "that guy"!!

It does not say we will not warranty them. Our supplier Rockford and us don't recommend spools in the front, yes it is really hard on birf an u-joints an your steering as well. I know a ARB is the same but you don't run it all the time.

Thanks for clearing that up Bobby.

Randys and Yukon take good care of their customers when it comes to warranty on shafts...

thats funny I still have the last broke yukon shaft I bought. it broke with 36inch radial swampers with an auto in mud too. ***** **** :looser: went to warns, been fine since:cheer: seems yukon outer shafts are allways a month back orderd too:masturbanana[1]:

I have watched as Bobs machine twisted off YUKON 35 spline chrome d60 shafts easily. it starts to groan and get angry when he tried to break a 60 birfield. it wont do it without destroying itself.:mad:

what I dont get (birfields aside, only shafts) is how strong the shafts are not the birf. his 30 spline toyotas break the inner shaft at 9100#s, none of the ujoint shafts even came close. the shafts with superjoints that did not have joint failure, but shaft breakage broke at half the torque and twist.

same thing with d60 shafts. the YUKONS blew the shaft (not joint or ears) apart at 12,100#s with about 90 degrees twist. Bob draws a line down each shaft before testing it. the yukon stays twisted after the test (retaining damage done before the actual breakage). :rolleyes:
his machine wont twist off the same diameter 35 spline birf axle at all. why not?? cuz not only is the birf stronger, the SHAFTS are stronger too.:fawkdancesmiley:

when the toyota 30 spliner shaft breaks at 170 degrees twist, the line straitens back out perfect. so a person could push this axle to the limit (160 degrees) and it would have no damage. :cheer:

why is it nobody (birfs aside) can even make a shaft that is as strong as Bobbys?? 60 or 44???

we were at the hammers and a guy showed up with longfields (27spl) and saved some dough and bought some (I think) MOSERS:looser: inners. he pulled them out and both were not broke but twisted at the splines. ready to let go anywhere:rolleyes:

I would go with the 60birfs just to get the higher quility shafts, with birfs being a bonus:awesomework:

Latest posts