• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Glitching....

hlb3

Zombie Hunter
So I took my crawler out today and it is glitching like crazy. Its mostly throttle glitches, but the steering and dig servos will glitch occasionally too. I have had absolutely zero issues with this, the only thing that has changed from this time to the last time was the batteries, I tried the same battery I was using before, still doing it.

I have moved the ESC and RX around to try to see if anything was causing interference for some reason now, still doing it. I have a synthesized TX/RX, so I tried a number of different channels and it made no difference.

Since nothing changed, I'm a bit stumped, any thoughts???

So I took my crawler out today and it is glitching like crazy. Its mostly throttle glitches, but the steering and dig servos will glitch occasionally too. I have had absolutely zero issues with this, the only thing that has changed from this time to the last time was the batteries, I tried the same battery I was using before, still doing it.

I have moved the ESC and RX around to try to see if anything was causing interference for some reason now, still doing it. I have a synthesized TX/RX, so I tried a number of different channels and it made no difference.

Since nothing changed, I'm a bit stumped, any thoughts???

how are you powering your receiver?

I had a similar issue with mine, come to find out the power wire had broken inside of the rubber shielding on my Castle BEC and when the wire would get moved in a certain position it would cause everything to glitch and freak out pretty bad.

Castle BEC. I had one of the wires break a few years ago, it just stopped working that time. I'll have to look into that tomorrow. :awesomework:

Seems too simple, but my kid thinks you just need new batteries in the remote. That will cause it to glitch.

If you dont got an all that great crawler, just ditch the BEC, thats what I did. :awesomework:

Yeah, good way to ruin a $100+ Servo:rolleyes:

He's running 11.1 V Lipos, that would be the last thing you would want to supply your servo with.

Castle BEC. I had one of the wires break a few years ago, it just stopped working that time. I'll have to look into that tomorrow. :awesomework:

Thats the same way I have my receiver powered now but I have been told that it's not the best way to power it. The main reason is most guys who run high torque servos want to get the most out of their servo by running more than 6 volts & most receivers cant handle it. This is just what I have been told by several people so I am going to wire mine up the way crash suggested:awesomework:

Here's words straight from Crash:

Bla--don't use that diagram. Some recievers can be damaged by the higher voltage. Even more if you go up to at least 7.4 volts.

Best way is to run direct battery voltage to the BEC, make a Y harness and only run output voltage from the BEC to the servo and then the signal wire to the reciever.

Here is the correct/foolproof way!
BECwiringdiagram.jpg

I dont know if this really has anything to do with your problem but may be something you might want to consider in the future:awesomework:

Last edited:
I'm only running my BEC at 6v, my BEC goes straight to the RX, then the BEC wire from the ESC is unhooked.

So I checked the wires to/from the BEC, I redid where I have the BEC's input wires go to the main deans plug from the battery, didn't help at all. So I started going through stuff, changed the RX, didnt help. So then I started unhooking stuff, I thought it may be the dig servo since it is just a cheap POS, but it wasnt that. I unhooked the steering servo and the glitch stopped, there is still a little one that isn't really noticeable when giving a little power. When I plug the steering servo back in it starts glitching like crazy again. :mad: I am going to do a little more testing, but that looks like the problem.

So looks like I won't be hitting the comps for a while if that is the problem. :booo:

I'm only running my BEC at 6v, my BEC goes straight to the RX, then the BEC wire from the ESC is unhooked.

So I checked the wires to/from the BEC, I redid where I have the BEC's input wires go to the main deans plug from the battery, didn't help at all. So I started going through stuff, changed the RX, didnt help. So then I started unhooking stuff, I thought it may be the dig servo since it is just a cheap POS, but it wasnt that. I unhooked the steering servo and the glitch stopped, there is still a little one that isn't really noticeable when giving a little power. When I plug the steering servo back in it starts glitching like crazy again. :mad: I am going to do a little more testing, but that looks like the problem.

So looks like I won't be hitting the comps for a while if that is the problem. :booo:

Try plugging your dig servo into the port where you would normally plug your steering servo into, this will give you an idea if its the servo itself or possibly the receiver. If the problem goes away once you plug in a different servo then you know its your servo.

Good Idea but remove the servo horns before you go plugging them into different ports. just as a safety.

Try setting your endpoints again. If the dig servo is trying to push farther thand mechanically posible it will cause a glitch.

Another thing I've always done is twist the motor wires. This cancels out most of the magnetic noise coming from the wires.

It is starting to glitch more now, it's still glitching the most when the steering servo is plugged in. Now it's glitching pretty bad with only the ESC plugged in and the motor is running, with the servo plugged in it will glitch just sitting there. So I changed to a different TX/RX and it is still doing it. So I'm wondering if it is an ESC or motor issue. I have never ran caps on any of my motors, but I may get some and try that and see if that helps at all.

It is starting to glitch more now, it's still glitching the most when the steering servo is plugged in. Now it's glitching pretty bad with only the ESC plugged in and the motor is running, with the servo plugged in it will glitch just sitting there. So I changed to a different TX/RX and it is still doing it. So I'm wondering if it is an ESC or motor issue. I have never ran caps on any of my motors, but I may get some and try that and see if that helps at all.

I dont think by having no caps on your motor it will cause it to glitch when just sitting there. The caps store electricity so in a sense they kind of act like a shock absorber when your motor begins to draw a bunch of current.

Are you sure your not getting some type of radio interference causing it to glitch?

Its possible, but i cant figure out what it would be. It just started yesterday out at Skookumchuck and its doing the same thing at home, so I don't think its any outside issues. The antenna is mounted to a plastic post, not touching metal at all.

Its possible, but i cant figure out what it would be. It just started yesterday out at Skookumchuck and its doing the same thing at home, so I don't think its any outside issues. The antenna is mounted to a plastic post, not touching metal at all.

Make sure that it never crosses its self also. Most put it in a piece of fuel tubing and run it up one side of the cahssis and back town the other. The straighter the better. All else fails I got an airtronics 2.4 for sale.

I have always ran it coiled around a spare body post and never had an issue with it, i suppose it wont hurt to try redoing the antenna placement.

I stretched the antenna out in an antenna tube I had left from one of my Slash's, it didn't help.

I took some video. You can see when it glitches, everything glitches. You can see the dig servo wobbling back and forth, the steering jumps, and the motor/esc glitches...

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8cquIq77iY[/YT]

Thats not a glitch bro that things fukn posest. :corn:

I hate to say this but I had a glitch problem ( nothing like yours) and tried a million things. Everyone blamed my radio cause I was the guy with the antenna. I loved my jr (same as yours) cause I had 3 of em and 11 recievers. Put in a dx3r and have no more glitching.

I learned something while programing the dx3r. You can change the frame rate. Not entirely sure what this is but it has to do with the way the radio and servo comunicate. You have to set it differently for use with a digital servo. I'm going to assume your running a digital and maybe the old radio is just freakin out cause its getting a signal it wasnt designed to recieve. Wish you were closer. We'd start swappin things out til it went away. Then replace them in the same order til it came back.