• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gm 1 wire alternator on a toyota

Re: Re: Re: Gm 1 wire alternator on a toyota

easleycrawler said:
I'm going to do the 1 wire setup on my Toyota. What GM alternator does everyone recommend?
I'm sure there are some regular parts store alts out there....but have you ever thought of a higher output one from www.mechman.com ?

Our "group" runs those and you'd be amazed how much better stuff works. Lights brighter....fans faster....winches quicker.

Matt @ mechman is a wheeler and located in east Tennessee. Givem a call.....

The part numbers are listed on LowRange's website with the bracket...

I've seen quite a few recommendations for Remy part number 91310...its 105amp

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/toughone-alternator-new-105-amps-91310/20170071-P?vehicleIdFromReq=-1&isAllVehicle=true&vehicleIdSearch=-1&searchTerm=91310&showTitle=

This is the version I have on my rig...it's only 94amps though...

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/xtreme-hd-heavy-duty-alternator-x7294sw/10150391-P?searchTerm=7294se#fragment-2

Don't forget the discount code loller.gif

As far as hooking it up...don't pay attention to just any "how to" thread since your rig doesn't have all the factory dash with idiot lights. You should be able to pull out a pretty good bit of the factory wiring after putting the new alternator on there. Then we need to work on cleaning up the rest of the wiring...especially on the driver side fender. :drinkers:

Re:

Good luck getting one local I tried for about a week and everyone I could fine was actually a 3 wire still very easy to wire

tonybolton said:
I'm sure there are some regular parts store alts out there....but have you ever thought of a higher output one from www.mechman.com ?

Our "group" runs those and you'd be amazed how much better stuff works. Lights brighter....fans faster....winches quicker.

^THIS
a autoparts 1 wire will barely run electric fans. get one from mechman an dont ever worry bout it

tonybolton said:

Thanks for the info, but I'm not going to spend that kind of money on a alt.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gm 1 wire alternator on a toyota

easleycrawler said:
Thanks for the info, but I'm not going to spend that kind of money on a alt.
He's known to help fellow wheelers out ifya give him a call. But I understand if you're on a budget thing.

I've been considering upgrading my alternator too. Hope this isn't too much of a derail, but what seems to be the best amp alternator for what we do? Can too many amps be a bad thing?

Re:

A good AGM battery and 200+ amps can keep ya goin.

I'm currently running 15.4 volts with a 300+ amp mechman alternator.

Later on I'd like to run dual batteries and carry a portable welder.

I'm still trying to figure out what I need to do. I just know when we went to Harlan for the hardline ride, I was running my fan, and when I turned my headlights on, the motor died
down significantly, and I'm just using stock headlights.

I would use a Ford 3G alternator.

They can be had in 120-160 amp versions in the junkyard for pennies.

I have this same alternator on my 351W

http://www.mechman.com/alternators/universal-fit/slim-fit/150-amp-slim-fit-universal-alternator/

I got it at the pull-n-save for $20 off of a mid 90s Taurus. Took it to the parts store and had it tested before I put it on my Bronco, it put out 146 amps.

If I ever got the notion to upgrade the alternator on a Toyota, I'd definitely use a 3G.

alscott has one on his buggy