• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

GM 2500HD Owners - lift question

nick c

Lewis & Clark bitches!
I have a 03 2500HD that is my tow rig and occasional daily driver.

When I bought it used 3 years ago I put a leveling kit on it. It worked, I clear h2 take off with the occasional rub. Truck looks nice which is what I wanted at the time.

Now that Im towing more and further, the ride is starting to bother me. It rides like a friggin tank, every little bump is felt. I'm starting to miss my stock truck ride...

I'm considering two options, lowering the truck down and putting on a bit smaller tire.

Or getting a small lift and loosening the torsion bars back up a bit.

My problem is all the lifts I see for sale are 4" plus. I plan to haul a slide in camper and I use my bed to haul crap all the time so I don't want to go much higher then where I am now.

I see trucks rolling around with what looks like a 2-3 inch suspenion lift all the time, any one here using one? If so who makes it?

Personally, for a tow rig, I'd go the "lowering it abit" route, and slightly smaller tire...What does one NEED a lifted TOW rig for??? For everything you use it for, sounds like the way to go...

Personally, for a tow rig, I'd go the "lowering it abit" route, and slightly smaller tire...What does one NEED a lifted TOW rig for??? For everything you use it for, sounds like the way to go...

So I can find it in parking lots. :redneck:

That and in a lifted truck the view angles are great, can see down all the womenz shirts. :masturbanana[1]:

And lastly I'm vain enough to enjoy the look of my truck with a bit of lift but nothing ridiculous like the 8-12" lifts.

All right, the first two reasons I can see and completely understand :redneck:, but the last is just an excuse:haha::fawkdancesmiley:

yeah go stock height.

i'm running 285 70 on my one ton with a little turn up on the torsion bars, scrape every once in a while when turning and hit a bump at the same time.

or go with 235 80 adn you should be ok.

lifted trucks and towing are bad juju!

and add a set of bags in the rear it'll make the ride batter while towing.

yeah go stock height.

i'm running 285 70 on my one ton with a little turn up on the torsion bars, scrape every once in a while when turning and hit a bump at the same time.

or go with 235 80 adn you should be ok.

lifted trucks and towing are bad juju!

and add a set of bags in the rear it'll make the ride batter while towing.

Got the bags in the rear, they are a very nice addition.

bags hurt my ride a bit. Changing to Ranchos hurt even more. I really like the look of my truck with a leveling kit and 35's. But there are still ways to make em look nice with 33's. Which is what I will run next time. Especially with a slide in camper.. I hate hauling a camper with anything less then a dually, let alone these guys with lifted trucks and campers. Thinking a ride that sloppy is safe, just nuts if you ask me.

Not a duraturd, but this is my setup...leveling springs up front, bags out back and 285/75R16's; 9.5' S&S.... Rides like a dream...:awesomework:
25175_100835189955421_100000868220751_19492_3373861_n.jpg

Did you just install torsion keys to level it? If so, with correct installation the ride shouldn't stiffen up very much. If you set the adj screws in the same spot as stock you shouldn't add any rate to the torsion bars.

I'd try backing the screws off a little. It will lower the front and ride softer.
When you find a happy spot recheck the alignment.

Also, did you change shocks with the leveling kit? I put a readylift on the wifes truck and it sucked untill I shitcanned the stock shocks.

2500HD, torsion keys, Bilstein 5100's. 285/75/16's. Ride is great. There is no "in-between" lift for the GM's. You go levelling kit, or all the way up to 4-6" kits.

Similar setup as Clark. 20" 33s (Pro Comp Mud X-terrains)

Rides awesome, uses the stock lift that comes from the factory.

IMG_1905.JPG

Last edited:
Similar setup as Clark. 20" 33s (Pro Comp Mud X-terrains)

Rides awesome, uses the stock 3" body lift that comes from the factory.

GM, or any other manufacturer never had a body lift from the factory----pretty sure yours is stock height, maaaaybe a leveling kit up front, but I don't think you have a body lift on your truck....:eeek:

GM, or any other manufacturer never had a body lift from the factory----pretty sure yours is stock height, maaaaybe a leveling kit up front, but I don't think you have a body lift on your truck....:eeek:

Err my bad, it has 3" more lift than a 1500/2500LD or something ..aka:

GMC_Sierra%20Classic%202500HD_2007_Base_photos_Pickup%20Truck_2006_GMC_Sierra2500_ext_1.jpg

VS

GMC_Sierra%20Classic%201500_2007_Base_photos_Pickup%20Truck_2007_GMC_SierraCl1500_ext_1.jpg

You can see the spacing in the grill, the 2500HD has a slight lift from the beefier frame rails.

I see what your talking about, but if you look close---It's just the bumper that's dropped causing the added space between the grill & bumper...on the 1500, the bottom of the front bumper is on nearly the same line as the rocker panel, whereas on the 2500HD/3500 the bumper is substantially lower than the rocker....
That still doesn't mean yours is lifted, it's just the design changes between 1/2T and 3/4T.....

I see what your talking about, but if you look close---It's just the bumper that's dropped causing the added space between the grill & bumper...on the 1500, the bottom of the front bumper is on nearly the same line as the rocker panel, whereas on the 2500HD/3500 the bumper is substantially lower than the rocker....
That still doesn't mean yours is lifted, it's just the design changes between 1/2T and 3/4T.....

Actually, he's right. The HD trucks have a built in 1.5" ish (don't remember exactly) body lift over the 1500 and light duty trucks. This was for more trans. tunnel to allow clearance for the Allison transmission. Not considered an actual "lift", just different mountings from the factory. FWIW, this necessary trans. clearance is also why the express vans didn't get an Allison. Duramax equipped Express vans get a 4L80E.

Yeah, I do see the added height, but not 3", so he's only 1/2 right!!!!:redneck:...:awesomework: I was stating that the bumper has been dropped, requiring the added trim panel between the grill and bumper top...And yes, they raised the mounting brackets for the body on the frame...not really a body lift persay as most would interpret it....most would associate a body lift with the usual 'pucks'....

Yeah, I do see the added height, but not 3", so he's only 1/2 right!!!!:redneck:...:awesomework: I was stating that the bumper has been dropped, requiring the added trim panel between the grill and bumper top...And yes, they raised the mounting brackets for the body on the frame...not really a body lift persay as most would interpret it....most would associate a body lift with the usual 'pucks'....

Bumper wasn't dropped, rest of the body was lifted. :fawkdancesmiley:

mine is much like avanteone ...
keys to level, bags in the back, and 285/75x16 ...
just enough "lift", but still within reason to be a comfortable tow rig.

I don't recall the stock tires on my 2500, but getting the larger tires helped with ground clearance (it's a ext cab shortbed).

<edit> I also got a reprogrammed ECM for a power bump and correction for the speedo </edit>