• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

gm 5.3 best bang for $$$$ ??

xjpaddler

Ok, I have a 5.3 out of a 2002 tahoe that I plan to use in my next rig, motor has around 25k on it. I am looking for upgrades as we speak, what is the best money spent on these motors. cam, injectors, intake swaps, dyno tunning, seems theres some oilpan issues with these as well???

looking for any info.

No the turboed one ended up being a 4.8, they didn't catch what it was until after 50 pulls. This one is a 5.3 they are building in stages, first is cam and portwork still made killer power. I've got 241,000 on the 5.3 in my truck and is still strong. Very good motors

I have an 04 5.3 in my buggy for nearly 3 years neaver had a problem , and it is straight out of the junk yard ,i put plugs and wires on , change oil pluged every thing up and still givin it HELL, best bang for the $$$$$$$, just my opinion. :dblthumb:

YES........I have seen that "JUNK YARD MOTOR" make yo buggy do some CRAZY **** molaugh molaugh molaugh

:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

And when its tore up .....THROW IT IN THA GUTTA, AND GO GET ANOTHA ;D

My 5.3 is out of a 02 Tahoe also. I run block hugger headers have it tune from Jim's Per. the rev limiter is set at 6700rpm's and it make awesome power. Have bounced of the limiter many times (Mahan Can vouch for that) and never given ma problem. But my next upgrade for a few more ponies is going to be a cam, valve springs, and rocker arms. Mine was a 80,000 mile engine when I got it. They are very reliable engines. My engine is also a junkyard motor!!!

Change the Cam, lifters and springs, then find somebody who knows how to Tune it and you will be thrilled. Also if you cam it your going to have to run a different converter in the trans. PTC makes some awesome converters that I would recommend.

Looks like the comp cam xfi 268 is a good cam. Claim it adds 61 hp to the wheels....with a nice lope to it too :dblthumb:
Anybody know of a good tuner around mid. Tn?

johnathan jones at beans diesel performance in woodbury,tn is who i'm using. he tunes just about anything, from diesels to ricers to LS stuff. he uses efi live (if that makes a difference to ya) and has been great to work with. 615-563-7800

any new info? i have a 2005 6.0 and plan on doing a 04 z06 cam and 243 head swap. anyone have any solid part numbers or experience with adding power.

knixon804 said:
any new info? i have a 2005 6.0 and plan on doing a 04 z06 cam and 243 head swap. anyone have any solid part numbers or experience with adding power.
Dont know where you are but this guy can fix you right up just done mine same engine www.culverautospecialties.com give him a call Lane Culver 256-882-2450

Mine had 25,xxx on the ticker when I put it in and I love it!! Had computer flashed and junk removed and did a 180* flip on intake and works fine. Thinking I may do intake swap next year. Running block hugger headers, flow master and seems to be plenty.

Founding member of the Irresponsible Assclown Traveling Shitshow!!! :flipoff2: