• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

GM Factory Scan Tool/Programming Questions

84Toyota4x4

I have a 2006 GMC Duramax that I have a couple questions about. I assume the factory tool has the ability to check functions and such of all the existing modules? I have heard that the calibrations can be updated as well, I assume I need a dealer to scan it to see if there are any available updated calibrations?

I have a minor issue with my automatic headlight switch, although, maybe it's normal? It seems when switching from automatic headlight mode to manual running lights or manual headlights, there is a delay when changing. IE - put the switch in running light or headlight mode, no lights come on for ~5-10 seconds, sometimes longer. This seems to only happen when it's dusk outside and I am trying to manually turn them on because the gauges on the dash are shaded too much for my liking. The lights work fine in automatic mode with no other issues, so I would just be curious to hook up a factory tool and see if it pulls anything in a diagnostic mode or whatever assuming it has one.

Thanks for any input you have!

~T.J.

EDIT - Along the same lines, I have read some trucks will move the seat to the memory position which corresponds to the remote which unlocked it. IE - Remote 1 unlocks, seat goes to position 1, remote 2 unlocks, goes to position 2, and all following remote numbers also go to position 2. Mine doesn't do this, how would I determine if it's supposed to or not since I have memory seats and obviously keyless entry?

EDIT #2 - I would say my issue is not normal because I noticed this morning driving to work that the switch worked perfectly. Running lights came on instantly, headlights came on instantly, when switching to the off position the daytime running lights went off, doing this again and they came back on. Everything worked as I expected. The only function I couldn't check was manually turning the headlights off when they come on for auto mode (which I have never gotten to work, they always stay on) since it was daylight and I didn't want to mess with covering the light sensor while driving to work.

But then, about 15 minutes into my drive, the dash lights shut off for about 1 second, then came right back on. Does this give anyone any more clues? I am kind of chasing a moot problem here since 95% of the time the headlight switch stays in the auto mode and works fine, it's more the principle than anything at this point.

Last edited:
I have a 2006 GMC Duramax that I have a couple questions about. I assume the factory tool has the ability to check functions and such of all the existing modules? I have heard that the calibrations can be updated as well, I assume I need a dealer to scan it to see if there are any available updated calibrations?

I have a minor issue with my automatic headlight switch, although, maybe it's normal? It seems when switching from automatic headlight mode to manual running lights or manual headlights, there is a delay when changing. IE - put the switch in running light or headlight mode, no lights come on for ~5-10 seconds, sometimes longer. This seems to only happen when it's dusk outside and I am trying to manually turn them on because the gauges on the dash are shaded too much for my liking. The lights work fine in automatic mode with no other issues, so I would just be curious to hook up a factory tool and see if it pulls anything in a diagnostic mode or whatever assuming it has one.

Thanks for any input you have!

~T.J.

EDIT - Along the same lines, I have read some trucks will move the seat to the memory position which corresponds to the remote which unlocked it. IE - Remote 1 unlocks, seat goes to position 1, remote 2 unlocks, goes to position 2, and all following remote numbers also go to position 2. Mine doesn't do this, how would I determine if it's supposed to or not since I have memory seats and obviously keyless entry?

EDIT #2 - I would say my issue is not normal because I noticed this morning driving to work that the switch worked perfectly. Running lights came on instantly, headlights came on instantly, when switching to the off position the daytime running lights went off, doing this again and they came back on. Everything worked as I expected. The only function I couldn't check was manually turning the headlights off when they come on for auto mode (which I have never gotten to work, they always stay on) since it was daylight and I didn't want to mess with covering the light sensor while driving to work.

But then, about 15 minutes into my drive, the dash lights shut off for about 1 second, then came right back on. Does this give anyone any more clues? I am kind of chasing a moot problem here since 95% of the time the headlight switch stays in the auto mode and works fine, it's more the principle than anything at this point.

Ok the headlamps are controlled by the BCM and the switch is simply an input to the BCM. All of the headlamp operations I have seen has been instantly when going from one setting to the next.

The only true way to figure this out is watch the BCM data with a scanner.