• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

GM front axle questions

Need a little help here. Just picked up a 64' Chevy that I am going to build into a Truggy. Currently it has the Eaton HO52 rear axle, 4.57's with the "no slip" (Detroit). This is an axle that I have zero knowledge about but from what I have read is a pretty decent axle to use.

Now, the truck is a 2wd so I will be looking for a front axle in the very near future. Plans are to run 42's......

My question is, this rear axle has the 4.57's versus the common 4.56's. Considering there isn't much in the aftermarket world as far as ring and pinion sets, what are my options here for a front axle?

the rear axle is pretty strong. its weakness is the 16 or 19 spline shafts. you can use mid 70s 14 bolt detroit side gears and axles in that housing.the cool thing is,that housing is round on the bottom...slides over stuff alot easier than a regular 14 bolt.

A Ford Np205 transfercase and a high pinion Dana 60 would be your best parts for a 4x4 conversion. The driveline angle and gear strength is better then a Chevy front axle.