• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

GM Zexel Torsen Posi

Jim1

Has anyone used one of these? Any downsides to them?

I just put one in my wife's 99 Blazer (S10). It's a factory unit out of a 99 TransAm. The difference is night and day backing it up and out of our 14* driveway. She would spin tires and engage the 4WD just to get to the road several times a day. I'm hoping this will be a good solution because it's gonna be a while until I re-grade the driveway.

Only down side is if they by chance come unlocked and one tire spin and engage. They will blow the case apart. Ya never seen that happen :haha:

Just make sure to tell her is it does do that to back off and ease into the throttle to get both tires to lock up...

yup them thingys explode! worked for a shop in highschool and one of the dudes i worked with did a burnout in a customers rig....well lets say we had to rebuild it for them.

i think you guys are confusing the torsen with the gov-lock.
granted, theres nothing bulletproof about a 7.5 or 7.625 rear... but strength wise, the toreson is just as strong as the eatons....

those things are awesome, esp in the wet/ice/snow... very smooth!

i think you guys are confusing the torsen with the gov-lock.
granted, theres nothing bulletproof about a 7.5 or 7.625 rear... but strength wise, the toreson is just as strong as the eatons....

those things are awesome, esp in the wet/ice/snow... very smooth!

Same diff locker in humvees.

I think it is like a true trac

exactly.
basicly 2 planitary gear sets inside, just like an auto trans
trutrac's have a bout a 3:1 bias rario, the gm's are closer to 2.5:1 ..... makes them even smoother (never heard of some one complain of a torsen being to agresive tho )

I've never seen any issues with the Torsen's but huge issues with the G80 AKA Gov-Loc.

The Torsen is very similar to a Truetrac but most models have less bias ratio than Truetracs (depends on vehicle).

Believe it on not, Eaton and GM are still firm believers in Gov Locs. Since they rarely fail during the warranty period, neither companies see any problems.

The Gov Loc has provided the diff installer with a good living:D
Many shops will not do a gear swap if the Gov Loc is retained as they're concerned about the warranty of their installation. I've seen blown Gov Locs destroy the housing, requiring replacement of the entire assembly.

The only difference is the hummers are a bigger carrier (amc 20 internals for the civilian versions) than whats in the s-10. I have seen them crack the carrier in half in the s-10's.

The ol school army hummers diffs are different of course, but same style locker.

I dont see broken ones either, they are strong and when coupled with portal ends it takes allot of stress off of the center section.

The H1 center section is not a popular model that swaps into other rigs tho. Seems like it will work in an old rear axle, IIRC

problem with swapping them into a older housing is they are for the high speed gears, because of the portals they run very tall gears and wont work with say 4.11s. already asked about em:) has me thinking about getting a set and trying the jantz J54.

problem with swapping them into a older housing is they are for the high speed gears, because of the portals they run very tall gears and wont work with say 4.11s. already asked about em:) has me thinking about getting a set and trying the jantz J54.

Sorry man that was a typo. I meant to say "olds" as in oldsmobile, not old.

Seems like they are the odd measurement thats not a 8.5, but an 8.75 or sum crap, same stuff some drag guys run?

All I know is Ive sorted thousands of them (they dump them out of dumptrucks) and they are worthless to the average guy looking for a cheap surplus upgrade.

The ol school army hummers diffs are different of course, but same style locker.

I dont see broken ones either, they are strong and when coupled with portal ends it takes allot of stress off of the center section.

The H1 center section is not a popular model that swaps into other rigs tho. Seems like it will work in an old rear axle, IIRC

Only versions I have seen are the civilian versions that used an aluminum center (reverse cut) with amc 20 internals. And yes with the gear reduction portal ends we never saw failures (we were a hummer dealer in bellevue) but if ya wanna talk about portal failures :haha:

Only versions I have seen are the civilian versions that used an aluminum center (reverse cut) with amc 20 internals. And yes with the gear reduction portal ends we never saw failures (we were a hummer dealer in bellevue) but if ya wanna talk about portal failures :haha:

Thats what they were, AMC junk.

Sorry I was thinkin Olds cuz I think they are both the funny 8.875 instead of the common 8.5 and 8.75 diffs out there.

Either way, they come in abundance and are worthless to anyone building things tough on the cheap.