• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Got a question for ford owners??

stealthrunner1

I have an oppertunity to buy a 2003 ford F250 with about 100,000 on it for really cheep...are there any really bad things that would make me regret buying this rig????It has a 6.0 deisel motor and auto tranny...2WD.....:corn::corn:

Of course it's worth it if it's CHEAP. Just know you will more then likely have to dump a bit of money into it. But if you do it right. It'd be a great rig.

What Jeff said, and WA too for that matter...HOW CHEEP? And if it's that good a deal, then plan on spending a few bucks to knock out the problem areas...(FICM, EGR, etc...)

03 was the worst year for the diesel. Period. Each year from 03 to 07 they got better, but still have issues.

The 6.0 has LOTS of power, in stock configuration.

the injectors in the 03 were absolutely horrible, so bad in fact most hp injector builders won't even accept em as cores, and the 6.0 injectors are already bad enough as it is.

$6000.00 the truck is in great shape my buddy is thinking about selling it...Right now i think he will be doing he's doing some cooler/EGR under the intake and some injectors...

If he's already doing the EGR repairs, and the rest of the truck is ok, that's a good deal...:awesomework:

What Zukkev said. 6k is not a bad price and as long as he is doing the repairs before you buy it its a screamin deal for a decent truck. Good luck :awesomework:

Personally I would pay a little more for a newer or older in years and for what you want it for 4WD. If he just put injectors in it and didn't head stud it or do the heads, you will be taking it apart soon to do that The 6.0 is a good motor and will put up with some ****. But on another note over the last 7 years and 200,000 miles I have dropped a little over 15 g into the motor.

I pulled up a reliability report from identifix on this rig for some info.
"Occasional problems with this vehicle are failures of the Idle Air Control Valve, failure of the Differential Pressure Feedback EGR Sensor, failure of the Ignition Coils and Boots (4.6L and 5.4L engines only), failure of the Camshaft Position Sensor, and failure of the Spark Plugs breaking off during removal (4.6L only).

An occasional problem on this vehicle is the failure of the Antilock Brake System (ABS) Module.
A common problem on this vehicle is failure of the Under Dash Fuse Panel and Generic Electronic Module. This problem may prevent the vehicle from starting."

So if your buddy has fixed some or most of this stuff before hand then super good deal buddy.

Ford didn't offer a diesel from 03 to 07.... That should pretty much give you my opinion of the 6.0

Take the money your gonna waste on the 6.0 and get an older 99-02. The 7.3 was a far more reliable engine, and you can work on it at home if you need to. (without pulling the cab and front clip)

Ford didn't offer a diesel from 03 to 07.... That should pretty much give you my opinion of the 6.0

Take the money your gonna waste on the 6.0 and get an older 99-02. The 7.3 was a far more reliable engine, and you can work on it at home if you need to. (without pulling the cab and front clip)

Unless it's an auto because the 7.3 comes with a turd. I've done a few easy jobs in my driveway in under an hour without pulling the front clip or the cab. Plus I can still outpull an identically modified 7.3 that my buddy has. Headstuds are the only reason you have to pull the cab and you don't even have to do that. By the way the 7.3 if you wanted to do headstuds to make it easier be prepared to pull the cab as well.

I would take it to Ford and have a pre-buyers inspection done on it. Then you will be able to find out whats wrong with it.

Auto trannies have no place in a truck anyway, so to me the auto tranny issues are of no concern.

The 6.0 does make more power stock, yes. Now take the money you would spend on the 6.0 to make it reliable and mod the 7.3, power is now equal or slightly better in the 7.3

Unless your building 40 pounds of boost or more there is no need to stud the 7.3

Obviously not everyone will agree on which one is better, thats cool, just givin the op my opinion.

Carry on
:awesomework:

Auto trannies have no place in a truck anyway, so to me the auto tranny issues are of no concern.

The 6.0 does make more power stock, yes. Now take the money you would spend on the 6.0 to make it reliable and mod the 7.3, power is now equal or slightly better in the 7.3

Unless your building 40 pounds of boost or more there is no need to stud the 7.3

Obviously not everyone will agree on which one is better, thats cool, just givin the op my opinion.

Carry on
:awesomework:

I wasn't going to say anything about your first post. But after this one. It's pretty apparent that you're new to the diesel world.