• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Got to buy new tires for the wife's truck

Steele3

Fixing to get a new set of ATs for the wife's 06 f150 4x4, I read back through several threads on here but most every body was buying for tow rigs and not half tons. I'm looking for something to get 40k out of or better and not break me.
Going with a 305/60/18

I like the Nitto terras, and have read good and bad about the mileage compared to price.

Maybe Toyos as I've heard good things about them also.

I really don't like the BFGs, but some say they wear great, I just never had good luck with them, and they sling pea sized gravel all over the place.

Also I'm trying to decide to buy at a shop or order online? I'm in southern middle TN near the AL line north of the Florence/Shoals area, where's a good place to buy a set at a good price, or do most major brand tires run about the same where ever you are?

I'd look into the Toyo AT IIs. I've only had them for 20k, but they still look like new. Done great both on and off road for me

Steele3 said:
Fixing to get a new set of ATs for the wife's 06 f150 4x4, I read back through several threads on here but most every body was buying for tow rigs and not half tons. I'm looking for something to get 40k out of or better and not break me.
Going with a 305/60/18

I like the Nitto terras, and have read good and bad about the mileage compared to price.

Maybe Toyos as I've heard good things about them also.

I really don't like the BFGs, but some say they wear great, I just never had good luck with them, and they sling pea sized gravel all over the place.

Also I'm trying to decide to buy at a shop or order online? I'm in southern middle TN near the AL line north of the Florence/Shoals area, where's a good place to buy a set at a good price, or do most major brand tires run about the same where ever you are?

I've got a friend who bought a brand new set of 305/60/18s or 325/60/18s Terras and isn't using them. He priced them to me for $1000

Toyo open countrys are a good tire, they dont take much weight to balance and wear pretty good. Every set I've installed for people has had nothing but positive responses. :dblthumb:

I had a set of Fuzions (go ahead and laugh) on a tahoe once. They were cheap and last a good while, better than what I expected anyway.

I had good life from BFG ATs before but they wore out at under 30k miles on my son's 07 Powerwagon. They wore evenly, stayed round and balanced though.

After reading all the good online reviews, we put Firestone Destination ATs on it and so far so good.

I got over 50k out of my nitto Terra grapplers. Would buy again for sure. Had a set of procomp extreme a/t that were very close to same performance of the nittos. Best part about the procomp was the buy 3 get one free from 4wheel parts. My bfg all terrains lasted a long time too but to be honest I can't stand the looks of them so wouldn't buy again. All of these tires were on a f150 and a Chevy1500

muddinmetal said:
I've got a friend who bought a brand new set of 305/60/18s or 325/60/18s Terras and isn't using them. He priced them to me for $1000

Where would he be located? If they are still new I would be interested.

I guess it will just come down to what I can get a better deal on, the Nittos or Toyos. I looked at the pro comps but I think there too aggressive for her ride and didn't find a buy 3 get one free. Just free shipping. lol

i've got 35" nitto mud grapplers on my 05 f150 crew cab and have got 23000 known miles and probably another 2-3000 when the previous owner had it.
2 are about 50% tread
2 are about 40% tread

They wear even but that really falls on how well you rotate and air pressure. only draw back is the crop duster roar they put off at 70 mph

Re:

I'm a huge fan of Cooper tires. Had both the STT (m/t) and the ST (a/t). Got great mileage out of both. Had the ST's on my 3/4 ton and they were only rated load range D, as they do not offer load range E in the ST. Great tires, better looking that BFG A/T's to me, more aggressive looking. But like you've already mentioned, they tend to pick up small rocks...but that's likely to happen with most all aggressive a/t's....that's why I went with mud tires when I bought 20's for it.

Here are pics of the ST's.

Unknown-6.jpg

Unknown-11.jpg

Resampled_2012-06-09_16-35-22_560.jpg

grcthird said:
Yeah, those cooper st last forever, my buddy has had them on his hardbody for years. And he drives alot of highway miles daily.

I know a couple ppl that's had them. I would bet money on them outlasting a BFG A/T and for about approx 20-25% less $$$ or at least they was when I bought these. I got these 285/75/16's for $860 put on.

JD, how much noise did those make? I had some master craft tires that looked just like those on my old Chevy, they sang just a little and those may be more aggressive than she will ever need. Her trucks been locked in 4x maybe 5 times in two or three years.