• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Government shutdown = Evans Creek closure

billulsund

I recieved an email from Bob Pacific, the head ranger for the Evans Creek area informing me that if the pending government shutdown happens it will likely result in the closure of federal recreational lands. This means that Evans Creek, and other national parks and recreation areas will be closed. Below is a copy of the email I recieved.

"Midnight Friday is the deadline for passing a federal budget and it is not looking good at this point. If the goverment shutdown goes into effect, we will likely be directed not to work or volunteer. Some essential services ie) law enforcement will continue but keeping recreation sites open is not one of them. If this is the case, we will likely be locking toilet facilities, closing gates that access federal land whether National Park Service Lands, National Forest Lands etc. This would include Evans Creek and other roads that currently have gates. Some of the public think a goverment shutdown is a good thing and would not effect them personally. Closing access to their favorite recreation site or area is a good example of one thing that would effect them directly. Please pass on to other club members and friends and also to those that need to be reminded that law enforecement will be still be working. Hopefully the shutdown wont happen and I will see you next Tuesday night. "

Some of the public think a goverment shutdown is a good thing and would not effect them personally. Closing access to their favorite recreation site or area is a good example of one thing that would effect them directly.

Sounds more like a chicken **** childish move made to make a point, rather than one that NEEDS to be made to me.

Interesting spin...

Is this Bob's opinion or something he has been told directly from above???
No its not his opinion.
Same aspect that the natl. parks will be closed (as in the paper today) All non esential services will stop and gates that can be closed will to reduce impacts.

Pokey has it right. This would affect all national parks. Even Yellowstone would be closed.

My big concern about this possible sudden, unannounced closure is that it may leave wheelers stranded inside the gate. There is a lot of snow up there right now and I don't think the forest service has a vehicle capable of checking all the trails to make sure no one is recreating up there before they close the gate. I would think they would at least have to post signage up with a difinitive closing date and time at least 48 hours prior to shutting the gates. I have emailed Bob about my concern and will let you know the response.

So I guess we dont have to pay taxes that day or buy a forest pass either :haha:

No its not his opinion.
Same aspect that the natl. parks will be closed (as in the paper today) All non esential services will stop and gates that can be closed will to reduce impacts.

No, it's government spin and punishment for us not wanting to pay more taxes, no matter how you slice it. I can see well established parks with heavy traffic closing, but the places out in the woods with comparitively little/light traffic? No, it's just punishment, it's not even common sense reasoning to go out everwhere and close gates in the middle of nowhere - it's all politics.

Same reason those that WORK will stop getting paid and those that LIVE OFF THE TIT will continue getting paid.

Those that pay in to the system are those that are impacted the most. :rolleyes: They can make all the excuses they want, doesn't change the truth.

Looks like even if the government shuts down Evans will still be open for the weekend. I received the following email response from Bob about my concerns of the gate at Evans being closed this weekend.

"Hi Bill. If the shutdown occurs tonight, employees are supposed to come in on Monday morning to so whatever necessary for the shutdown. So if it happens and the decided the gates will be shut then it would happen Monday. So the gates will remain open irregardless this weekend and would be closed sometime Monday."

Looks like even if the government shuts down Evans will still be open for the weekend. I received the following email response from Bob about my concerns of the gate at Evans being closed this weekend.

"Hi Bill. If the shutdown occurs tonight, employees are supposed to come in on Monday morning to so whatever necessary for the shutdown. So if it happens and the decided the gates will be shut then it would happen Monday. So the gates will remain open irregardless this weekend and would be closed sometime Monday."

Thanks Bill :awesomework:

New information. The gate will stay open

Most Federal government agencies are not able to give exact answers of what will happen if they shut down because they are still trying to figure it out themselves. It appears that the Forest Service is no exception. Below is an email that was just CC'd to me. It is from Jim Franzel, a Snoqualmie District Ranger, and is addressed to Bob Pacific. It was sent to Bob as a reply to the email that I posted to start this thread. He is basically saying that Bob was incorrect and that gates will not be closed. :cheer:

"Bob - this message has information that is not correct.

Currently, USFS recreation sites that are open will remain open. We are not locking gates or restrooms that are currently open because of the potential shutdown. Of course, site that are currently closed for the winter will remain closed.

Jim Franzel Snoqualmie District Ranger"

Is there a gate to the campground? I don't agree with any shutdowns up there, but just gating the campground would at least be somewhat understandable.