• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

griffin radiator combo units?

zjtrey

I've found a radiator in the griffin catalog that will work for the down and dirty transaxle build that will fit nicely ect… now I'm trying to decide if I'm going to buy the combo unit with the shroud and fans.. biggest issue is how the shroud is attached to the radiator.. Im going to need it on the opposite side of the radiator from the inlet and outlet. I can order it this way directly from Griffin but they charge significantly more and charge for shipping..

if i order it from summit, its cheaper all together and free shipping but i can't get the fan on the opposite side..

is it easy enough to swap sides with the shroud on these things?

Check out PRC radiators. They will build anything you want. I ordered mine over the phone on a Friday afternoon and it was at my house the next Wednesday. It was considerably cheaper than a Griffin too.

I had them put a blank shroud on mine because I'm going to use a Volvo fan. But the way mine is built the shroud could easily be swapped between sides.

Also, IMO the Volvo fan will be a better fan than pretty much any Spal fan you can find. They're identical to a Taurus fan, but they don't have the huge bulky shroud, and you can bolt them onto your own shroud. And you can get the Volvo relay pack to control them. It allows you to control both speeds by switching ground. You can do it with toggle switches, or let your ECU do it.

I bought the plain Griffin radiator from Summit. I then swapped an fittings onto it and build an aluminum fan shroud to fi5 my needs. Much cheaper if you can do the work.

cool, thanks for the input… i will check out PRC for sure…

Im a bit constrained on the fan size but i would love to have a taurus or volvo fan.. the radiator griffin recommended was 27.5x15.5 dual 1.25 cores, it will need to be double pass because both radiator hoses come out of the motor on the drivers side of this rig… or the front if it were still in the car..

The radiator will be located behind the engine up against the lateral X so the tallest radiator i could fit in there would be about 19 inches tall. the height if the radiator is constraining my fan choice.

I do have a dual taurus fan setup that is out of a later model taurus than the ole go-to taurus fan… they are dual speed fans that are about 13 inches in diameter… Im wondering if i could get away with running just one of those and mounting it to a blank shroud..

maybe i should have posted this in my build thread.. but oh well right?

any guidance on fan selection would be greatly appreciated also….

EDIT: I spoke with PRC- nice folks for sure and better pricing and flexibility than Griffin.. the price exceeds Griffin when you buy the spal fans by about 45 bucks… so i really like to fit a volvo or taurus fan on this thing.

anyone got some dimensions for the volvo fan? or one for sale with the relays? :woot:

I have an extra fan, no relays though. You can usually find the relay packs on ebay. That's where I found mine. I'm at work now and I'll be here until 6:30 in the morning but I can get you some measurements tomorrow. My radiator is 22x19 and the fan fits on my shroud very well. The Volvo fans move some serious air.

I do have a 27x19 radiator for sale that I bought for my build but it was too big. It's a triple pass though. Inlet is top right, outlet is bottom left.

zjtrey said:
I've found a radiator in the griffin catalog that will work for the down and dirty transaxle build that will fit nicely ect… now I'm trying to decide if I'm going to buy the combo unit with the shroud and fans.. biggest issue is how the shroud is attached to the radiator.. Im going to need it on the opposite side of the radiator from the inlet and outlet. I can order it this way directly from Griffin but they charge significantly more and charge for shipping..

if i order it from summit, its cheaper all together and free shipping but i can't get the fan on the opposite side..

is it easy enough to swap sides with the shroud on these things?

Did you end up finding a solution to swapping the side of the shroud?....Id prefer to switch my Griffin to the opposite side as well. It seems the shroud is only held on by sheet metal screws.....i cant see why it couldnt just be switched.

I ended up buying a radiator from PRC because they were a bit cheaper on the modifications i wanted done…mostly locations of the inlet and outlet. Im gonna build a shroud to fit a volvo two speed fan soon..