• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

grinder (1) my arm (0) 35%

Damn it, that sucks man. I keep waiting for mine to bite me, I broke a disc working on the dump trailer last weekend and thought for a second I was gonna get it. Hope you get healed up soon.

I don't know the guy but don't underestimate the danger. I have several scars from grinders. I had a wire cup catch my shirt and wrapped me up in the blink of an eye. I was lucky to walk away with just a small cut across my side.

If you look close, the cut off wheel is all the way to his ear.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 447
Cut off wheels on a 4.5" grinder are the devil. I had to use mine this way last week and I was full double layer welding gloves and standing to the side more than a foot. I don't put my arms in the firing line either. I've seen to many come apart.
Have any of you ever used a metabo WE14-150 cut off grinder? Clockable guard, I've found maybe 10 situations in 3 years where the guard go in my way so bad I couldn't get it. I've yet to break a blade with one and blades last longer for some reason. Almost don't ever get the plasma or torch out anymore. The opposite of dangerous if you are smart and if you position the guard so your person is protected
http://www.cpometabo.com/metabo-we14-150-quick-we14-150-quick-6-in--9-000-rpm-12-0-amp-angle-grinder/mtbn600160420,default,pd.html?start=2&cgid=metabo-angle-grinders&prefn1=wheelDiameter&prefv1=6-in#pr-header-back-to-top-link

blacksheep10 said:
Cut off wheels on a 4.5" grinder are the devil. I had to use mine this way last week and I was full double layer welding gloves and standing to the side more than a foot. I don't put my arms in the firing line either. I've seen to many come apart.
Have any of you ever used a metabo WE14-150 cut off grinder? Clockable guard, I've found maybe 10 situations in 3 years where the guard go in my way so bad I couldn't get it. I've yet to break a blade with one and blades last longer for some reason. Almost don't ever get the plasma or torch out anymore. The opposite of dangerous if you are smart and if you position the guard so your person is protected
http://www.cpometabo.com/metabo-we14-150-quick-we14-150-quick-6-in--9-000-rpm-12-0-amp-angle-grinder/mtbn600160420,default,pd.html?start=2&cgid=metabo-angle-grinders&prefn1=wheelDiameter&prefv1=6-in#pr-header-back-to-top-link

I've got a Metabo W8-115 quick protect, paddle style i use a lot for that reason. I took a 5" wire wheel to the ankle with shorts on a few years ago. Learned my lesson pretty quick

A 6" Metabo is probably one if the best grinders made. I own both on-off push button and paddle switch styles. The push button only gets used for rare occasions when I need it to stay on for a while, other than that, it's the paddle style. I am around fitters and welders all day every day so I get to see my fair share of carnage. Some of the new ones have a feature that can tell if they bind up and shuts them off. At the very least, please wear safety glasses. We have guys with eye injurys on a regular basis even wearing safety glasses.

5onrocks said:
A 6" Metabo is probably one if the best grinders made. I own both on-off push button and paddle switch styles. The push button only gets used for rare occasions when I need it to stay on for a while, other than that, it's the paddle style. I am around fitters and welders all day every day so I get to see my fair share of carnage. Some of the new ones have a feature that can tell if they bind up and shuts them off. At the very least, please wear safety glasses. We have guys with eye injurys on a regular basis even wearing safety glasses.
Safety glasses are given.
The clutched/brake one is another $50, I didnt' splurge as it has never been a problem.