• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

grinder spanner wrenches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

patooyee

If I ever run into the engineers who designed every damn grinder on the planet to use its own unique spanner wrench I'm gong to throat-punch them as hard as I can!

Does anyone know where to buy the ****ers?

Ive seen spanners at harbor freight and northern that have one pin on a hinged leg so they work for all widths... I always hand tighten my grinder wheels and rarely need a spanner to get the wheel or wire brush off although if you grind real hard the nut will tighten up and you'll need a tool to change out. I have a small collection of spanners from grinders past and have rarely not had the one i need...

Re:

My buddy has a grinder that has a spot in the handle to hold its wrench so you don't lose it. Can't remember the brand.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Safety Tip: Wire tie your spanner wrench to the cord right at the plug. This way you ALWAYS unplug it to swap disks.

Back to the topic!

Hold grinder with wheel vertical while holding pin in. Smack on side of table are a tire. Will loosen up enough to spin off with hands no matter how tight. Use a tire or something half way soft when taking off a wheel you plan to reuse as hitting on table will knock a chunk out most of the time. Even works on sanding disc.

Needle nose pliers in the holes and a pair of vice grips or long screw driver to twist.

I picked up like 4 of those adjustable ones for like $3 each. thumb.gif

I never use the wrench either just spin on and off with gloves , they spin tighter so it's not like it hast be tighten much anyways , I change them 30 times a day a lot at work. At home I have 3 grinders to save on time one has cut off wheel, one has flap wheel and one has wire brush

I use multiple grinders too. Keeps from having to change so often. My new Dewalt has a spot for a Allen wrench on the nut so you can use it or the spanner.

Re:

tonybolton said:
Am I doing something wrong? I don't think I've used a spanner wrench on my grinder for probably 3 years. Jus turnem on/off by hand.

hjpcummins said:
Iv always used my hands, guess I'm not a bitch like most..

X3. Never used a spanner wrench on a grinder. If I explode a cutoff wheel and don't have anything to grab with my hand, I'll loosen the nut with channel locks.

I always wondered what those queer looking flat metal pieces were? I always use my teeth like a real man! Actually my hands, and if it's dewalt I probably have a dozen wrenches laying around .

Re: Re: grinder spanner wrenches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ecoast said:
I usually just grab it with a glove

but here you go; 5 bucks shipped, universal, adjustable

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271025761620?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Thanks for the link.

I used the wheel down to a sharp, fragile nub and it is cupped so I can't get in there with a pliers at the nut. Some of these other suggestions are good but I'm still going to get some more wrenches.

As I spent an hour looking for my wrench I just couldn't help thinking how dumb it is that each of the 4 other grinders and spanners I had sitting there are all unique and didn't fit the one I had lost the wrench for. Seems dumb when they could all so easily be the same.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk