• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Grinding Hardened Steel...?

You'll have to use something simillar to what you posted but use a die grinder as a drill doesn't spin fast enough. Any abrasive/ stone bit should work but a carbide tip won't be hard enough...
Making setup bearings?

I've always used these on the die grinder to grind hardened steel.

die+grinder+bit.jpg

If in fact you are making setup bearings, this will do the trick. It takes a LONG time though. Last time, I chucked up the bearings in a lathe and spun it real slowly while I applied the die grinder. It took about 15 minutes per bearing for me to get it perfect.

I've always used these on the die grinder to grind hardened steel.

die+grinder+bit.jpg

If in fact you are making setup bearings, this will do the trick. It takes a LONG time though. Last time, I chucked up the bearings in a lathe and spun it real slowly while I applied the die grinder. It took about 15 minutes per bearing for me to get it perfect.

You must be useing crap bearings....Carbide shouldn't be hard enough to cut a bearing race but hey whatever works.:cheer:

You must be useing crap bearings....Carbide shouldn't be hard enough to cut a bearing race but hey whatever works.:cheer:

Timken bearings. Like I said, it takes a WHILE to grind off a couple thousandths of an inch to make setup bearings, but it works.

I've made 4 sets of setup bearings the same way. :awesomework:

Makin setup bearings takes longer and is more work that just setting up the bastards.

If you cant press of a pinion bearing 40 times without damaging it then you have no bizz being inside a diff.

A setup bearing will not have the same amount of wear and will require a final adjustment with the new bearings anyways.

I have two elocker diffs to setup, I actually have a set of "setup" bearing in the mail from a TTORA member. But im still curious about what works best for my own knowledge and possibly future use.

And yes Choppy, I should have no bidness in a diff, but since I would rather easily assemble the diff with setup bearings and get it really close and MAYBE only have to remove the final bearings once.... its worth it to me.

You'll have to use something simillar to what you posted but use a die grinder as a drill doesn't spin fast enough. Any abrasive/ stone bit should work but a carbide tip won't be hard enough...
Making setup bearings?

I guess I maybe don't know the terminology for an abrasive stone for a die grinder... I search and only found that diamond bit I linked above and some expensive carbide bits like what karl linked.

Is there a special compound or material used for hardened steel? Like what style of abrasive?

BTW, Thanks for the comments (as always) guys!

I guess I maybe don't know the terminology for an abrasive stone for a die grinder... I search and only found that diamond bit I linked above and some expensive carbide bits like what karl linked.

Is there a special compound or material used for hardened steel? Like what style of abrasive?

BTW, Thanks for the comments (as always) guys!

A polycrystalline cubic boron nitride (CBN) tool with a TiN coating is what I used to make setup bearings for my 60 but the average wheeler doesn't have the tooling or equipment like that just laying around lol. You can use a brake hone with medium grit stones but I heard its time consuming.

Latest posts