• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Painting a steel deck trailer.

civicmindedex79

So my car hauler trailer is looking pitiful. So I am going to paint it when the weather cools off a bit. Any advice on dealing with the surface rust and such? Planning to use implement paint to paint it. Is a good rust convertor or primer needed before hand? Anybody close around North Alabama or Mississippi that might wanna quote the job?

Painted plenty but never over the amount of surface rust this trailer has. Its about 7 years old now and gets used plenty.

Mines about ready for a make over too. When the time comes I'm gonna da the sides and tongue and spray them to make em look good then just roll the floor.

June dog said:
Mines about ready for a make over too. When the time comes I'm gonna da the sides and tongue and spray them to make em look good then just roll the floor.

Yea same plan I got. May sound stupid but anybody ever basically poured a gallon (maybe not the whole gallon) out and just start spreading? Still better to use a tray and all?

civicmindedex79 said:
Yea same plan I got. May sound stupid but anybody ever basically poured a gallon (maybe not the whole gallon) out and just start spreading? Still better to use a tray and all?

I don't see why that wouldn't work. I'd probably do a quart or so at time just to see how far it will go and how well it will roll out.

pholmann said:
I think wd40 makes some brush on stuff that kills the rust and you just paint over it.

Never heard of it. Assuming this is it?
5uioue.png

I guess I should have ask my question a lil more straight foreward but is necessary with implement paint to do anything with the rust besides maybe the wire whisker?? Anybody ever used the industrial rust-o-leam in the gallon can for industrial use?

Anybody got a good guess how many gallons it take to do an 18' car hauler everything but the underside?

Yes you want a converter not a remover soak. Quickly hit the rust with a wire wheel just to knock the dust off basically then put the converter on. There are a number of brands. I have been using it all my life on equipment. You want to treat or remove the rust first. Treating is much faster.

If I am in a hurry. Painting something that doesn't need a quality paint job. Car trailers, convertor dolleys for pulling double semi trailers, removable bracing for equipment. My go to paint is a gallons of rustoleum.
One I know what ever I'm painting is going to get abused no reason to spend extra cash on good paint.
Two I know I can always color match it in the future.
Also rustoleum doesn't harden completely. Which is good cause if you hit it with a hammer it doesn't chip. But will scratch easier. Sometimes I go by Napa and buy hardener and use a little over half of recommended amount.

Mine before and after. Had a buddy make me some drive over fenders. wiped it's ass with red scotch brite. Sprayed the sides and rolled the flat.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 79
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 82
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 76
civicmindedex79 said:
Nice. Hope mine turns out half that good. Looks awesome. That the roll-on rustoleum?

I got a deal on some acrylic for the sides. And bought some cheapo mystic from tractor supply and rolled the floor. I barely took over a quart to do the floor. It took right at 2 quarts to spray the sides. I'll tell you, I didn't go to any extremes on it. Pretty much just knocked the dirt off of it on the sides. I did wipe the deck off with mineral spirits to get the oil and grease off.