• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Groms - street trails - adventure bikes etc etc etc

Jon Piper

After the pittling around on the ruckus I remembered how much I loved riding. Now I don't really want another liter bike or a Busa I'm thinking I'd love to have a street trail for my son and i to ease around some back roads and goof off without momma being with us. I looked at the klr/klx/xr 650's first and daggum those things are high as giraffe booty. I found a few 200cc bikes for reasonable enough ..... then I remembered about the Honda groms - man those are cool. I was dreaming about wheelies for days .... parking lot stunting. .... then I remember I'm fat and old now so i bet falling would hurt more now :****:

So are there any adventure riders on here ? Any grom / z125 riders ?

Those tw200's look pretty snazzy with a bighorn on the back !

I figure if it will go at least 60. Cheap(ish). Aftermarket support etc it'll be fun.

I like this idea also. I mostly ride Harleys everywhere. tried to do some parking lot trail scouting on it this week. The looks on the guys faces were priceless when i crossed the mud holes and creek on the Harley. made me want to start looking for a lighter, more maneuverable bike. KLR is nice though, and able to take road trips if needed. Suzuki V-strom is another.

Re: Groms - street trails - adventure bikes etc etc etc

I just finished my motorcycle class to get my license this weekend so I could ride legally now lol. They provided the bikes and I rode a decent yahama that wasn't bad. It was able to do all the tight u turn, cone dodging, etc they make you do. Cornering felt different with the knobbies but they rode better on the pavement than I expected.
e0d1314ee7747af0192bb69d0e514f61.jpg

Man, if only we had a place to discuss motorcycles ............ like we should have an entire general forum dedicated to all things motorcycle related.. what say you Hardline?

I think it would fit in really well right above the classifieds..

8)

smbroady82 said:
Man, if only we had a place to discuss motorcycles ............ like we should have an entire general forum dedicated to all things motorcycle related.. what say you Hardline?

8)

General discussion ....

:butt:

smbroady82 said:

8)

Don't you have some treps to be polishing ?

lowbudgetjunk said:
Can't you get a mechanical one to go the distance :flipoff1:

Ha, I'm sure something could be rigged up to reach the peg, but it wouldn't be worth a **** for walking to and from the bike. Lol.

Re:

I have a little Honda CRF-250L that I have a blast on. It's no powerhouse, but will cruise on the road just fine and is extremely fun off-road. I ride a lot of forest service rds, trails to waterfalls, and actually ride it to work quite a bit. I've owned or ridden most every type of bike and this, by far, is the most fun to me.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I'm 50 miles from work - mostly interstate so I don't even consider getting one to ride back and forth. Heck i may not get one at all but .......groms are cool

Eddy don't be jelly of the banshee

Beerj said:
Mod the bike?

Meh, it would be same as a cruiser then - cornering limited from clearance between foot peg and ground. Sportbikes, dual sport bikes, and basically anything built for a sport riding position all have the foot peg location mounted back and high up. If you mounted it forward and high up enough to clear, it would be akward looking and also put you in an akward riding position when cornering on that side.

I actually saw a GSXR 750 at Nightfall last year that looked like someone had bought wrecked and kinda done a street fighter type rebuild on it. They had relocated both pegs to a feet-forward position, but was fairly low mounted similar to where they are on cruisers. The inline 4 engine on sportbikes is pretty wide, and the way his pegs were mounted, your right leg was pretty much right up against a hot radiator hose. Cool concept, but not practical for how I would need it to work while riding.

Also, when cornering with your feet out in front of you, you may scrub your foot on the pavement some but if it ever catches (and I have done it) it jerks your foot off the peg and damn near makes you wreck. It will never do that on the pegs on a sportbike in their normal position because your leg is already bent back. If it does catch, no big deal, but I never had it catch back in the day, just scrub. With your feet out in front and it catches, you kinda "stiff-leg" the asphalt til your leg breaks away and bends back.

Basically if there was a simple way to solve the issue, I wouldn't be riding an old man bike. I'm just glad I can still shift on old man bikes without any modifications, makes it seem more natural. The further away from natural it gets, the less it is worth to me. I don't like scenarios where I have to do something completely abnormally due to my leg. I like to stay as close to natural as possible in everything I do.