• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Guys hauling rigs with triple axle trailers

hjpcummins

Just purchased a quality home made 30' triple axel gooseneck trailer, with the axles rates at 7,500lbs a piece.

My question is, do you ever get harassed by DOT or local P.D.

From what I'm "told"
Triple axel trailers require CDL
Any trailer over 10k gvwr requires CDL

With my trailer being "homemade" and not being "plated" for any weight rating. Am I in the clear?
I'm located in GA

I live in al had a my on business had tag and inc on the trailer what all over the east cost
Never had any problems . My trailer was a double axe with 55oo pound axe and 18 foot long.

But that was just my experience with hauling stuff.

I sold my big trailer a while ago but I was hauling with a triple axle goose with 35' of flat deck that was rated at 21K. I never had any issues with any of the states that I traveled thru which was Florida, Georgia, SC, NC, Tennesee, KY, and Alabama. Could be that it was obvious that I was not a commercial hauler. I was also looking at building a longer trailer so I could have put a 5th wheel on the front and a carry a rig on the back. I remember that your total length had to be under 65' rig and trailer, I forget what the weight was but it would be difficult to achieve with a one ton truck and trailer combo.

In ga as long as you under 26,000lbs your good on weight, I not sure on length, could prob look in up on ga's dot site.

BurntRunner said:
In ga as long as you under 26,000lbs your good on weight, I not sure on length, could prob look in up on ga's dot site.
Not commercial or if you look commercial. I worked for a landscaping company and we specially ordered trailers with 7k pound axles but the plates had the trailers derated to 10k pound trailers because the DMV guys would harass the hell out of us. Most states used to say on the license that pulling any trailer over 10k pounds required class A CDL but now I know the Alabama ones do not. North Carolina was the same way. I pull a 20k pound trailer locally but there is a reason I didn't pull it to California. You may get away with a lot but the tickets can suck.

If its for personal use you don't need a CDL. It don't matter how much you weight. You only need a CDL if truck and trailer is registered for commercial use. That's why it called a commercial drivers license and only if your over 26,001 gvwr.

Bigred350 said:
If its for personal use you don't need a CDL. It don't matter how much you weight. You only need a CDL if truck and trailer is registered for commercial use. That's why it called a commercial drivers license and only if your over 26,001 gvwr.

You have to have a CDL on any combination vehicle over 26001 lbs.

In Texas, u must have a cdl for any combination of truck and trailer that is RATED over 26,001 pds. Whether it is commercial or personal. If u pass a dot officer around here with a triple axle trailer u can dang near bet he will pull u over to check your license to make sure.

Re: Re: Guys hauling rigs with triple axle trailers

yep 26k+ means you better have cdls. I got my class a cdl when I turned 21. easy to do with and only a couple hundred bucks.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Looks like i need to look in to this up in Illinois . My trailer with my buggys weights a littler over 24k , and my truck weights right at 13K . I have never had any Trouble But i also dont need any .

My goose neck has 3 5500 lb axles, we have been to cali twice and to rauch creek and to upper Minnesota. All over the south east. I have never had a problem .

personal use or rec use is non CDL only commerical is CDL truck 26001 or truck and trailer over 26001 if trailer is 10001 if truck is 26000 or less and trailer is 10000 or less CDL not req even for commerical just when through CDL and DOT training I have a toter home and a tandem and 53' triaxle trailer no CDL is required [i am over length no body has said anything]

A Class A CDL License is required when the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Ratings (GCVWR) of the truck and trailer totals 26,001 or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds. 2. A Class B CDL License is required for any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR. 3. A Class C CDL License is required for any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous materials.

I copied and pasted this but it sums it up. 26000+ you have to have it. Just because they havent stopped some one yet doesn't mean it ok. If your in an accident and are over wieght without a CDL then youcould be held liable. Talk to someone in fleet safety for a living.

Y'all still don't under stand. If its for personal use you don't need a CDL no matter how much it weighs or if it has air breaks. How do you think 79 year old men drive huge motor homes around with air breaks and not have a CDL???? Because its for personal use. You only need a COMMERCIAL DL if its being used for a Buisness.

I've seen many truck/trailers over 26k that have "not for hire" stickers on the side of them. That's so the dot can see its a personal use truck and it helps keep them from getting pulled over.

I have my class A so I'm not worried about it. Y'all can keep arguing.

If your truck and trailer combo is rated over 26001 lbs then you need a cdl. They can ticket you even if your empty if they wanted. Its what you gvrw is. It doesnt matter if its personal use or commercial. RV's have a little different laws on air brakes but the weight rating is the same. I have my class A also and all I can tell you is when DOT pulls you they know the laws and there pretty good at showing you where you went wrong. Lol Sorry didnt mean to soapbox this.

Bigred350 said:
Y'all still don't under stand. If its for personal use you don't need a CDL no matter how much it weighs or if it has air breaks. How do you think 79 year old men drive huge motor homes around with air breaks and not have a CDL???? Because its for personal use. You only need a COMMERCIAL DL if its being used for a Buisness.

I've seen many truck/trailers over 26k that have "not for hire" stickers on the side of them. That's so the dot can see its a personal use truck and it helps keep them from getting pulled over.

I have my class A so I'm not worried about it. Y'all can keep arguing.

What Addison66 said is correct (atleast for Florida).. If your trailer is rated to haul over 10k you are supposed to have a CDL whether its personal or commercial use (personal use just isnt required to keep a log book or enter weight stations) Motorhomes, and campers have a special exemption that they can be any weight and not need a CDL, assuming they meet the overall length/height requirements.

With that said, I have pulled several large trailers, both double and triple axle, and I have never even been given a second glance even when loaded down with 2-3 rigs while traveling all over the southeast. Hell my personal trailer has never even been registered, and I pull all the time with it.. I have a friend with a 48ft wedge trailer though and he gets harassed by FHP and the GHP everytime he pulls with it, so take it with a grain of salt.