• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gvwr

bobracing

Anybody understand Washington's GVWR laws?

From what I understand the GVW includes: Truck (6500), camper(3500), trailer(2000) and anything (Jeep,4000) on that trailer. This all adds up to 16,000 GVW, this is commercial vehicle weight.

Do I understand the GVWR law correctly? If not what am I missing?
How does everyone have there rigs licensed?

I wouldn't bet on that, I got a ticket in 2000 for not having a CDL, I had a Dodge Dually with a 20K GVWR Gooseneck, and I wasn't even close to being loaded. Then again it was out of state, so I don't know what Washington Staters would say.

Look on your door...should say gCwr and gwr. From those two you can figure out how big of a trailer and camper you can haul.

What are you gonna be hauling that is so big you are concerned about the GCWR?

Jaydog said:
Then again it was out of state, so I don't know what Washington Staters would say.
There you go. We've already had a thread on it, but IIRC in Worshingtun as long as you're not commercial you're ok up to 26k?

skrause said:
There you go. We've already had a thread on it, but IIRC in Worshingtun as long as you're not commercial you're ok up to 26k?

Up to 26K is what gets me, the Dodge I just ordered is 12, 500 and the Trailer is 20K. :booo:

Jaydog said:
Up to 26K is what gets me, the Dodge I just ordered is 12, 500 and the Trailer is 20K. :booo:
Loaded? :corn: What matters is your scale weight, not your rated weight.

skrause said:
Loaded? :corn: What matters is your scale weight, not your rated weight.
That isn't what the State Patrol told me, they said it didn't matter what you had, it was what you were rated for.

This is what the DOL website states.

You must get a commercial driver license (CDL) to operate the following types of vehicles:

• All trailers with a manufacturer's weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more, if the gross weight rating of the combined vehicle(s) is 26,001 pounds or higher.
So, if your driving a 1 ton, then your GVWR is around 12,000, therefore you would need a CDL if your trailer's GVWR is over 14,001.

On a side note, most car hauler trailers are under 12,000 GVWR, so there wouldn't be a need for a CDL for most of the people that haul their wheeling rigs.

bobracing said:
Anybody understand Washington's GVWR laws?

From what I understand the GVW includes: Truck (6500), camper(3500), trailer(2000) and anything (Jeep,4000) on that trailer. This all adds up to 16,000 GVW, this is commercial vehicle weight.

Do I understand the GVWR law correctly? If not what am I missing?
How does everyone have there rigs licensed?

according to what jaydog put you should be fine

OK, I understand that 26,001 needs a CDL.
The problem comes when it came to registering a truck. They lady said I needed enough tonage for, "anything hauled or towed by the truck".

So what I'm asking is, How much tonage is needed on the registration. Tonage is bought in 2K upto 16K at which point it becomes commercial.

If for some reason I'm be-bopping down the highway and get pulled over, with 10K GVWR and oviously more weight, will I get a ticket.

Also if the truck has a GVWR of 12K (10,001 is the limit), is it then restricted to 60mph, loaded or not?

Jaydog said:
That isn't what the State Patrol told me, they said it didn't matter what you had, it was what you were rated for.
Mabye so, but if that is true that is bullshit. :stirpot:

bobracing said:
OK, I understand that 26,001 needs a CDL.
The problem comes when it came to registering a truck. They lady said I needed enough tonage for, "anything hauled or towed by the truck".

So what I'm asking is, How much tonage is needed on the registration. Tonage is bought in 2K upto 16K at which point it becomes commercial.

If for some reason I'm be-bopping down the highway and get pulled over, with 10K GVWR and oviously more weight, will I get a ticket.

Also if the truck has a GVWR of 12K (10,001 is the limit), is it then restricted to 60mph, loaded or not?
That's a good question, although the only time I had to purchase tonnage on a rig is when I had apportioned license plates. I don't know what kind of truck you have but a 1 ton dodge has a payload capacity between 3600 and 4700 depending on the model. I think the PoPo is only worried about tonnage when it comes to commercial vehicles despite what the DMV people say.

snwbrdpunk16 said:
nope. my bro was warned for that one. Any vehicle with any kind of trailer attached can do over 60. :rb:
Oops. :redneck: So I guess 90+ is out of the question then? :booo: :looser:

snwbrdpunk16 said:
nope. my bro was warned for that one. Any vehicle with any kind of trailer attached can do over 60. :rb:

Not only that but read the signs coming into WA. The signs specifically say "any vehicle over 10,001" are restricted to 60mph.
And snow punk is right on the trailer too, any motor vehicle, includes motorcycles, pulling a trailer is classified as a truck. This will also keeps you in the right two lanes of a highway, this has been covered.

As for a CDL, wouldn't do much except put an infraction against the endorsement. It's not IF I can drive it without a CDL, anything up to 26,001 w/o air brakes, it is HOW DO I REGISTER A TRUCK FOR PERSONAL USE TO CARRY EVERYTHING FOR A WEEKEND IN THE MOUNTAINS?

that is such bullshit, hell my Dad's bone stock Dodge and toy hauler weigh more then 26k and we have NEVER had a problem. They aren't going to give you any crap unless you're making money. And you definitely don't need a CDL just for driving a pickup even if it is for business. It's just an added piece to your license. Like your motorcycle endorsement.

alright I just read the one above me, yea he pretty much covered it. I don't know how many times I've been in the carpool lane with a trailer. Cops never care, they just go right on by. And there is no way in hell they are going to pull over a motorcycle with a trailer for being in the fast lane. Some of you people just worry WAY too much.

Last edited: