• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hanging a Doubler

ForMud

I'm planning on hanging a 203/205 and was wondering on the mounting locations. For sure the rear output ( Right above the lower bar ) Then also at the adapter ( Right behind the upper tube )

My main question is going to be the side mount or mounts.....
The choices I have are...... ( 1 ) On the right side ( Two bolt mount on the back 205 )
( 2 ) On the left side ( PTO cover on the back 205 )
( 3 ) On the left side ( PTO cover on the front 203 )

All the mounts are going to be connected to the cage not the frame with poly bushings ( Same as the motor mounts ) and there is no trans mounts.

Can to many mounts make it not move as much as the motor?

I mounted at motor mounts,trans,doubler mount and tmr mount for around the output shaft. I used same rubber all the way around and didn't mount it to the belly pan just up about 1/2 and 3 years in no issues .

I would tie all the case/trans mounts, hard-mounted to the same "cradle". Then use poly bushings to mount the cradle to the chassis at about the same width as the engine mount bushings.

You just want to make sure the drivetrain twists around the same axis/circle.

paradisepwoffrd said:
I would tie all the case/trans mounts, hard-mounted to the same "cradle". Then use poly bushings to mount the cradle to the chassis at about the same width as the engine mount bushings.

This exactly

paradisepwoffrd said:

That's what I have now. Might be an inch or two wider than the motor mounts. The problem is the cradle is the skid plate too. To make the two separate from the bottom, I would have to lose belly height...Hence the reason for me wanting to mount the cases from the top and leaving cradle/skid here it sits.

I did find this on another site....

the second crossmember can work well as a support for a skid but isn't necessary for drivetrain support. I like the idea of a 2nd mount for bounce support since the motormounts and doubler adapter are so far apart but after treating our U4 car like a race car with only motormounts and the doubler adapter mounted and never breaking a TH350 case, I gotta say they hold up fine mounted that way. My K5 (ish) is the same way, we put a stock rubber 2wd 700R4 mount at the back of the trans and the main supports are welded to the Doubler adapter (Yup, it's still the one we built before TTC in 2001). The stock rubber t-case mount rotted away years ago and all that's left is the motor mounts and doubler adapter there too and the 700R4 case is still fine.

It's written by the owner of Off Road Design

onepieceatatime said:
Mount an LS in the engine bay and just do away with that 203.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

This is more a rock/trail type rig.... So I like the low gearing and having a low hp old small block helps keep me from breaking to many parts.

I make these rear np205 crossmember supports

Attachments

• 629F5396-9A09-4D23-B944-AD344E45792A (800x800).jpg
    629F5396-9A09-4D23-B944-AD344E45792A (800x800).jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 120
Re: Re: Hanging a Doubler

ForMud said:
That's what I have now. Might be an inch or two wider than the motor mounts. The problem is the cradle is the skid plate too. To make the two separate from the bottom, I would have to lose belly height...Hence the reason for me wanting to mount the cases from the top and leaving cradle/skid here it sits.

I did find this on another site....

the second crossmember can work well as a support for a skid but isn't necessary for drivetrain support. I like the idea of a 2nd mount for bounce support since the motormounts and doubler adapter are so far apart but after treating our U4 car like a race car with only motormounts and the doubler adapter mounted and never breaking a TH350 case, I gotta say they hold up fine mounted that way. My K5 (ish) is the same way, we put a stock rubber 2wd 700R4 mount at the back of the trans and the main supports are welded to the Doubler adapter (Yup, it's still the one we built before TTC in 2001). The stock rubber t-case mount rotted away years ago and all that's left is the motor mounts and doubler adapter there too and the 700R4 case is still fine.

It's written by the owner of Off Road Design
Do the same concept but over the trans and cases vs under.

Flip the trans adapter upside down and doubler mount if possible. Hard mount those 2 & tail mount to the same bracket, then hang it from the chassis over top.

Big thing is you want them to work together vs seperate and have the mounts to the chassis same as engine.

With the 205 I have taken off the stock side cover and made one out of 1/4 inch plate then welded mounting tabs to it. using the stock three holes on the one side to attach a bracket too I was able mount the 205 to the chassis on both sides. ON my current buggy build I did not have room for that so I built a mount that attached to the rear output and one at the back of the transmission. I both instances I had a doubler, a 203 in the first set up and a 241 box of rock in the second. Have not run the second so not sure how strong it is in comparison to the first set up.