• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hangover run--Tonga

I saw all of you leaving. :redneck: Who lost the trailer tire and had to leave their rig? :booo:
Wasn't our group. Was that on the hill just before the coffee stand right before Index? I saw them on the way out but they had 3 or 4 cars/groups with them and were jacking on the trailer, no tow rig however. So I didn't stop. Besides, pretty sure my spare wouldn't have fit them anyway. Sucks that they had to leave the trailer/rig.

Where can you get to 7K on Tonga? From the maps it looks like 5K is as high as the trails go.

Take it easy bud, We all know and there is a simple explanation for it No need to splack-a-lack on this thread

My gps said 6850 ft

Ya the weather was wacko up there. My GPS was bouncing all over the place as far as elevation. I figured the hi presure was throwing it off. Crap happens, makes for better camp fire storys. No foul here

Wasn't our group. Was that on the hill just before the coffee stand right before Index? I saw them on the way out but they had 3 or 4 cars/groups with them and were jacking on the trailer, no tow rig however. So I didn't stop. Besides, pretty sure my spare wouldn't have fit them anyway. Sucks that they had to leave the trailer/rig.

Must of been below me.

Gps

Take it easy bud, We all know and there is a simple explanation for it No need to splack-a-lack on this thread

Ya the weather was wacko up there. My GPS was bouncing all over the place as far as elevation. I figured the hi presure was throwing it off. Crap happens, makes for better camp fire storys. No foul here

Must of been below me.

:mad: Maybe my C.R.S. kicked in. I have this problem ware I cant remember ****.:booo:

Yeah, good lesson, you can't always trust your GPS (and as you get older your memory :D). At times mine has been off 1/2 mile or more around home where I know where I am. My GPS seemed to be behaving ok on this run and had us at about 4300ft at the trail head where we turned around, but we were off the "digitized road", so I looked it up on the contour map when I got home. Pretty sure I pinned the right location on the link at the end of my pics on the previous page. Set it to terrain and zoom in to see it clearly.

Where we turned around is pretty close to what we can get elevation wise if we took the ridge all the way east (taking the left at the big Y with the little hill climbs). But usually there is more snow the farther east you go on the road.

Highest road I see on the map is due east of where we were and just NE of Mt Sawyer off of another spur road from the main 6830 that goes down the ridge from the left at the Y. Looks like about 4750 at the top. Probably have to do that earlier in the year when there is less snow, unless Marshall would bust through it for us with his big buggy. Ever been up that one?

Highest road I see on the map is due east of where we were and just NE of Mt Sawyer off of another spur road from the main 6830 that goes down the ridge from the left at the Y. Looks like about 4750 at the top. Probably have to do that earlier in the year when there is less snow, unless Marshall would bust through it for us with his big buggy. Ever been up that one?

Oh ya--been down every road. The only time we have ever made it to the end where there is a nice big bowl/pit is when there is only a couple feet of snow. The last big hill climb is just too hard to get up when there is allot of snow (steep hill with a sharp corner below it)

Sounds like the Twin Lakes run up at Mt Baker with the RRR. Nov 12 we made it to the top at 5200ft. 4th and 5th switchbacks had big snowdrifts that took a while to break through, but there was only about 2-3ft on top. Nov 19 had too much snow and they got stopped at the switchbacks.

It is all about the right snow conditions. I have drove up Tonga in the passed and only sunk a foot

A few warm days and cold nights and that stuff will set up and you can drive right across the top of it with the right set up, Air temp and snow temp

Try it this comming up Saturday and it will be a totally differant run

It is all about the right snow conditions.

Please educate a newbie to off hiway snow runs. Especially, what are conditions to avoid? I get your point that when it softens up and then refreezes it is possible to drive on top. Is the only worry that it will warm up enough to sink into in the afternoon? I'd be worried about getting back in somewhere in the the morning when it is frozen/hard and then breaking through when it softens up in the afternoon. Anything else I need to know?

As a long time skier I know to watch out for transition zones near freezing. We sure hit that coming down on Sun. It was really slick for a while about half way down and everybody I talked to got a little squirrelly through there, but I was expecting that and a few skid corrections were just fun! What I don't know much about is the deep stuff on the road.

The worst thing I hate about old snow is you get 'stuck' in the old ruts. Usually not a problem unless there has been enough melt to allow the water to run in the ditches under the frozen snow. When you wheel in nice snow it will actually pack down and sometimes you can actually be over the ditch. When it turns to slush/frozen snow and you are in the old tracks you can find yourself pulled into the ditch real quick. And if the water has been running in there not only will the slick slush hang you up, but you will start digging down in the mud.

Not sure this will make much sense, but someone that has been in this situation will know exactly what I am talking about.

The worst thing I hate about old snow is you get 'stuck' in the old ruts. Usually not a problem unless there has been enough melt to allow the water to run in the ditches under the frozen snow. When you wheel in nice snow it will actually pack down and sometimes you can actually be over the ditch. When it turns to slush/frozen snow and you are in the old tracks you can find yourself pulled into the ditch real quick. And if the water has been running in there not only will the slick slush hang you up, but you will start digging down in the mud.

Not sure this will make much sense, but someone that has been in this situation will know exactly what I am talking about.

Bad snow--its what I like to call "snow cone" snow. Not really snow but more small ice pellets. It has little to no traction and no way to float on it. We usually see that at the end of the season unless its a crappy winter with allot of up/down of temps (well above and just below freezing)..

Yeah, that is what I ran into on my trip before Tonga. The temps were high for a couple of days, sucked into a ditch by slush, stuck in slush and mud, winch deployed.

I am ready to go again now though. I was tired as hell when I got back and all day yesterday. I am too old to do the up late drinking and then wheel the next day on almost no sleep.

Please educate a newbie to off hiway snow runs. Especially, what are conditions to avoid? I get your point that when it softens up and then refreezes it is possible to drive on top. Is the only worry that it will warm up enough to sink into in the afternoon? I'd be worried about getting back in somewhere in the the morning when it is frozen/hard and then breaking through when it softens up in the afternoon. Anything else I need to know?

As a long time skier I know to watch out for transition zones near freezing. We sure hit that coming down on Sun. It was really slick for a while about half way down and everybody I talked to got a little squirrelly through there, but I was expecting that and a few skid corrections were just fun! What I don't know much about is the deep stuff on the road.

You hit it right on. It is a fine line between snow you can get on top of and still get out in the afternoon.Night snow wheelin does rock the best. Temp doesn't change much and the snow stays consistant.

Now the snow we were in was good snow if the air temp was 10 degrees colder. The problem was the water content in the snow was making it slippery and also pack in. 10 degrees colder the tires would get a better bite and also the top layer of snow would be lighter and flow around the rigs. Now in a few days it will settle a little and that will make it firm up. then it is going to get clear out, so that will make it cold at night. You will be able to gt on top of it then. For my tast I like about 20 to 25 degree snow. Any colder it turns to flour, any warmer to balls up

On my ford for plowing I can read road temp just for that reason. I know when I can turn up the power and go fast, and when it is warm and slick