• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

HDR photography popularity... like it or hate it?

Ricky,

I do think that tweaking photos can make them better... I second what Wyatt said:
InDaShop said:
Some pics its ok, others its terrible.

Can you use your HDR effects layered over the original? (maybe at 30-50% opacity or something like that... Might help you maintain a little more realism than just a photo with contrast/detail turned all the way up.

just my $0.02

MUCHADO said:
Ricky,

I do think that tweaking photos can make them better... I second what Wyatt said:

Can you use your HDR effects layered over the original? (maybe at 30-50% opacity or something like that... Might help you maintain a little more realism than just a photo with contrast/detail turned all the way up.

just my $0.02

Not a bad idea. Some of the photos I barely touched with HDR effects, like this one:
DSC03162-M.jpg

I like the way I was able to enhance the detail in this photo, but I could still see how one could say it's "cartoonish"
DSC06572-M.jpg

You take good photos to begin with. I say use your judgment on what you think works. I think sub par photographers use it because there not that good so they try and make up with it in over edited pics. Personally i agree with the double edged sword comments. Some stuff it works some it just plain sucks. Either way keep up the good work and thanks for taking the time to post your pics, its probably a part time job. Haha

Action shots should speak for themselves... A touch of hdr, like in Coles buggy photo isn't bad or for poser shots.

I like it, but not in every shot. Pretty cool that a picture can have more detail than my eye can see if I was standing next to you when it was taken.

It's art work. Like any art, it has it's place. There are some action shots that it really works for, some not so much. I think HDR is more catered towards stills. To create the ancient pictograph image. But like any art, moderation can be the key. How much is too much?

For example, here is a shot I took last weekend. One normal, one HDR'd. While the HDR does see more detail, that can be brought out in other ways. Does the image look better? Meh, not particularly, but it's definitely more visibly brighter.

I personally like HDR's on still images vs action shots. That way the HDR effect can really be pushed, without it looking silly. In this image, I had to really dial it back otherwise it was goofy as hell.

DSC_0381.jpg

HDR3.jpg

In that bottom pic it just looks like another over exposed pic. So in that case no beuno.
So my question is: can you % the HDR effect? Like speeding up video, at 101% is doesnt look faster or maybe even 104%, but at 105% speed it looks obviously fake???
I guess if thats the case then the pics could each benefit from varying %'s of HDR effect?

InDaShop said:
In that bottom pic it just looks like another over exposed pic. So in that case no beuno.
So my question is: can you % the HDR effect? Like speeding up video, at 101% is doesnt look faster or maybe even 104%, but at 105% speed it looks obviously fake???
I guess if thats the case then the pics could each benefit from varying %'s of HDR effect?

Yeah you can adjust the settings on how strong or modified you want it to look. For example here is one set even higher than before. Like RB posted, some can actually come out pretty sharp and neat looking with a bit of HDR'ing. It really depends on each photo whether or not it could use it, and how much. But there are tons of people overdoing the hell out of it. It can be really neat, or just like anything, overdone. I tend to lean towards the closer to original look. Sure pictures can use some help from time to time to get the lighting and coloring good. But not everything needs to be overly modified.

The kicker is TRUE HDR which is a series of photographs merged together to create an effect, look amazing. Although that's tough when your target is flying up a hill. ;D And many times you can't get that kind of image without it. But doing the HDR in photoshop, this is what you can get if you go too far.

HDR4.jpg