• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Headlights blowing fuses

:cool: You found the problem...If there's still contact that insulation will wear through, keep a eye on it.:awesomework:

It was driving me crazy! But with everyone saying it was relay or ground, I just HAD to keep searching until I found something.

Yes I agree on the insulation. With the heat shrink, I was more thinking of a temporary brush against metal if other wires were being fumbled with. I assumed it wouldn't hold up to prolonged rubbing, but with the 1/4" spacers I "think" it should be good. As with a great so many things on this jeep, I'll have to keep an eye on it :redneck:

Have some local there machine a couple 1/2" :bling: billet aluminum spacers for the light buckets!!!:redneck:

whoops..

As brad stated, make sure to rotate the relays terminals down. Even more so with how they treat the roads where you are..

whoops..

As brad stated, make sure to rotate the relays terminals down. Even more so with how they treat the roads where you are..

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't pointing them down allow more spray from the tires to hit the connections vs pointing them away from the tires...? Or does the drainage trump that?

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't pointing them down allow more spray from the tires to hit the connections vs pointing them away from the tires...? Or does the drainage trump that?

The water collects in the relay housing and submurges the assembly when upside down and the same can happen on its side. Sure you can get moisture inside it with water splasing on it. But the connectors, if its a good relay are molded into the realy assembly. Its around the edges where that assembly is pushed into the housing that water will get it. Grab an old one and tear it apart and it will make perfect sense :awesomework:.

Only way around it is to get a marine style where the connector seals the assembly (Early GM stuff used to use them).

Cool. Will rotate em.

Do you use/like these little guys from DelCity?

73555_tab.jpg

Saw them and thought they might make things a bit more secure for abuse rather than relying on spades that can pull out...

Dear Nuzzy;
I am glad you found the source of your troubles, my troubleshooting friend! And now I'd very much like to take this opportunity to say "I told ya sooooooooooooo!"

It seems that you somehow allowed the first rule to slip your mind, my frustrated friend. That rule of course is "Always listen to Lamar." If you happen to forget this rule then you are in for untold amounts of wasted time and/or efforts. And yes, position the relay(s) to such a position where the spade terminals are pointing downwards. And yes, use a connector block if you are able to purchase one.

Again, conga rats on your solution!!!
Your friend;
LAMAR

Latest posts