• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

heim/ball joint

Boonie Buster

Stuck on a Curb
so i picked up a 2wd chevy steering box the other day, the pitman arm on it is a ball joint and not just a regular female end that the ball joint goes into. so should i try and find a pitman arm that is the female end or do a heim joint??? i'm assuming people have done this before, and from what i remember it wasn't the greatest idea because of the unusually wear and tear on the joint, but i could be totally wrong/backwards on this. any suggestions???

oh btw, i'm doing a crossover setup on a suburban w/ dana 44.

thanks,
Aaron

You want Tie Rod ends (similar to ball joints, unless you are talking about spherical ball joints) in your steering. Unless it is a trail only rig.

If you put heim joints anywhere in your steering linkages, they will wear prematurely and you will get a lot of shimmy in your front end. Eventually leading to death wobble.

If it is a trail only rig, heim joints are fine. If it sees moderate street use, use tie rod ends.

KarlVP said:
You want Tie Rod ends (similar to ball joints, unless you are talking about spherical ball joints) in your steering. Unless it is a trail only rig.

If you put heim joints anywhere in your steering linkages, they will wear prematurely and you will get a lot of shimmy in your front end. Eventually leading to death wobble.

If it is a trail only rig, heim joints are fine. If it sees moderate street use, use tie rod ends.

No ****---wow I must be lucky after 5 years :D

crash said:

Okay dude, daily drive it to work, then meet me on the trail every weekend. :;

Oh yeah, you have to do this for 7 years, not 5. :kiss:

KarlVP said:
Okay dude, daily drive it to work, then meet me on the trail every weekend. :;

Oh yeah, you have to do this for 7 years, not 5. :kiss:

Mine does see high speeds and see's way more abuse than on the street. Gotta remember full hydro is way harder on hiems...

crash said:
Mine does see high speeds and see's way more abuse than on the street. Gotta remember full hydro is way harder on hiems...

I love you too honey. Someday when I can afford the kevlar heims vice the teflon ones that I currently buy, I will be ready to compete with the one who gave us reiter.

I myself am done with heims. I'm going with spherical ball joints. But this is just for the trac bar. I am still using TRE's in the steering linkages.
tnRE3795.jpg

KarlVP said:
I love you too honey. Someday when I can afford the kevlar heims vice the teflon ones that I currently buy, I will be ready to compete with the one who gave us reiter.

I myself am done with heims. I'm going with spherical ball joints. But this is just for the trac bar. I am still using TRE's in the steering linkages.
tnRE3795.jpg

If I was to do my 4 link again I would have gone that route. I like my setup but its a lil to clanky....

KarlVP said:

I myself am done with heims. I'm going with spherical ball joints.
tnRE3795.jpg

"Spherical ball joints"? Do you mean spherical rod ends? "Heim joint" is a brand name of a spherical rod end. That picture is a spherical rod end insert. Tie rod ends are a specific application of a sperical rod end.
Keep trying and you'll get it right.:;

Originally Posted by crash

crash said:
If I was to do my 4 link again I would have gone that route. I like my setup but its a lil to clanky....

Yep you are lucky...:D Lucky enough to live with the clanking of your non-worn out Heim joints... LOL....