• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Heim joints vs. johnny joints

Hellbilly

I'm getting ready to put coils on my zuki. I need any info I can get before I buy. And where to find the best price seeing I need 14-16 joints.

Heims are less expensive to initially purchase up front compared to Johnny's

Johnny's are less expensive to rebuild than replacing heims.

Johnny's require more real estate to mount than heims.

Johnny's provide some vibration absorbtion where heims don't

Johnny's don't make noise when and if they ever get play in them like heims will...guaranteed.

The only Johnny's worth buying are from Currie...skip that **** from Rubicon Express and the others.

I used Summit Machine cartridge joints at one end, and M.O.R.E. poly bushings at the other. The Summit joints were around $27 a pop, and the bushings were $12 each I think. Why run high zoot joints on both end of the link? I have more than enough range of motion.

I know Dirtball is using Heim Joints on his junk.. he said he'd like to switch to Johnny's but there's that upfront cost.

His Jeep makes so much noise, I asked if something was broke.. he said nope, it's when it STOPS making so much racket is when he gets worried.

I got 8 1 1/4 forged Jonny joints from currie for 305 shipped. I did it for noise mainly(frame side links mounts). They came preassembled and looked good.

I run the big RE adjustyable Johnny's in the suspension, I prefer them over heims cos thir adjustable and greasable. They do take more space then heims though. I got mine from 4 wheelers Supply here in town for less then the cost of a 1" heim. So far so good. I run heims in the steering linkage though.

SysWillys said:
I run the big RE adjustyable Johnny's in the suspension, I prefer them over heims cos thir adjustable and greasable. They do take more space then heims though. I got mine from 4 wheelers Supply here in town for less then the cost of a 1" heim. So far so good. I run heims in the steering linkage though.

I like both equally but Im a poor man and I got some johnny nock offs and love them. The only way I would run heims is if they are 1 inch and bigger other wise i dont think its worth it:;

Robin is running 3/4 X 5/8 QA-1 heims on his rig. he is shearing 5/8 bolts mounted in double shear. Jonny joints and RE joints use 9/16 bolts FYI. :Good: my QA-1 heims are 3 1/2 years old and are still as tight as they where when they where new.

Hiems are good but when used in an inverted 4 link on trail rig the lower hiems have a tendancy to wear out fast IMO due to the lack of alot of triangulation...

Jason C said:
Robin is running 3/4 X 5/8 QA-1 heims on his rig. he is shearing 5/8 bolts mounted in double shear. Jonny joints and RE joints use 9/16 bolts FYI. :Good: my QA-1 heims are 3 1/2 years old and are still as tight as they where when they where new.

It's hard to wear something out when it doesn't get used :flipoff:

tclong said:
The currie johnny joints come with a stud or weld on any advantage using either one

Personally i dont like any welded joint, be it a stud welded to the joint or the joint welded to the link. The forged currie johny joints are one piece and in my opinion a good deal..Just make sure they have left and right hand threaded ones when you order them. I waited 2 months for right hand threads and they never had em.