• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Help,first time relocating spring perches

toyodaaddict

I could use a little guidance. Im relocating the spring perches on a 79-85 toy rear axle. Ive got low profile perches for 3'' axle tube but they fit loose and sloppy. My buddy gave me some standard perches for 2.5'' axle tube and theyre to small. I would really prefer to use the low profile perches, either way im worried aboud getting things crooked.

My only experience with moving perches was on an 8.8 and the perches fit nice and snugg, leaving no room for error. I know this is basic **** but any advice would be appreciated.:beer:

Make sure the axle tubes are level, then if the lo pro ones are too loose, but want to keep em, then you probably need to exchange em for the right size tube diameter...The other option is to grind out the radius of the standard ones until you get them to the height you want, and make sure they are level like the axle tube is, set your pinion angle, and weld it on...:awesomework:

Make sure the axle tubes are level, then if the lo pro ones are too loose, but want to keep em, then you probably need to exchange em for the right size tube diameter...The other option is to grind out the radius of the standard ones until you get them to the height you want, and make sure they are level like the axle tube is, set your pinion angle, and weld it on...:awesomework:
The thing I dont get is Marlin,TG, etc all sell perches for 3'' axle tube as fitting 79-95:wtf:. I got mine from RockTactics for pre 85 toy and theyre for 3'' tube as well. The 2.5'' ones are Ruff Stuff and they are way to small. I was hoping I was missing something. I have a ifs rear I could use but its a little wide for the zuk. Im starting to wish I had moved my rear springs to toy width, like I did the front.

On the TG/Marlin ones that are not boxed in, there is only a 1/8" gap to weld up if used on a -86 axle. Pretty easy. I still wouldn't have a big problem using the ones you have and doing a 3 pass on it if you don't want to return them.

On the TG/Marlin ones that are not boxed in, there is only a 1/8" gap to weld up if used on a -86 axle. Pretty easy. I still wouldn't have a big problem using the ones you have and doing a 3 pass on it if you don't want to return them.

Biggest key is to make sure the perches are in the same position before burning them in, as you will have some room for an error...Be patient, tack one in place, make sure it is set where you want, set the other to match the first, make sure everything's straight/true with the load of the rig on the springs, then weld em up...:awesomework:

I always just threw them on the axle, snug everything down with the u-bolts, double check my measurements and pinion angle, and tack them in.

I made mine out of 2 x 2 square stock. Used a whole saw to do the cut out and made them a bit longer too help with axle wrap.
I have a 1st gen axle.

I talked to RockTactics, They will swap me for the 2.75'' perches:awesomework:. Now I gotta pull them and hope they are rust free and in returnable condition.

Mark m , always thought your rig looked like a pretty badass first gen thats been around:cool:dont seem to be many pics floating around though. Im surprised to hear you still run the narrow axle.