• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

help me..!!

see thats what i dont understand tho... marlin never said anything about having to do such a mod to make the springs work... i have d-cases in mind and im in the process of getting them... should i wait till i get the cases befor i cut and rotate..?
Not in so many words...

Marlin Crawler said:
For better drive shaft angles, we recommend using a high pinion front 3rd member, and dual transfer cases with an additional CV added to the rear shaft. Not using these components may result in higher than normal drive shaft angles and may cause problems such as U-joint failure.

You're gonna want to fix the angle one way or the other. I think changing the spring perches is gonna be the best way to do it however. Unforunately, this rotates the knuckles too.

~T.J.

Last edited:
you dont need your stock ones just let the spring rest under the frame rail and let the weight down. you could shorten the shacles you have by cutting the cross support out and simply cut to desired length and drill new holes.

so a high pinion third and duel cases is mods that they recomend??? wow, it goes from 300$ to like a million:D owell

more mods the merrier..!!! right? :D

thanks guys for all your help...

blakeski

I hate to say it, but the more advanced you get in wheeling, the more money it costs you.

You didnt have to get the big springs. someone suggested a shorter shackle that may help your situation. I would try that before ANYthing else.

marlin springs are not a direct bolt in. they are longer wthen stock with an offset center pin to move axle forward. longer flex better then a horse shoe wedged in the stock locations.
this set up usualy works well for guys doing a s.a.s that way you set your hanger where you want...
is your rig an 85? it is suggested to cut off front hangers and put on a marlin front hanger. this will also strengthen your front frame area... read some build ups on marlin you will see this is what is being done on the 85 and older trucks. good luck,and keep the questions coming.

my truck is a 79... and the marlin springs i ordered are not that big.. i had 3 inch springs on it befor and it was fine...so im gonna try and shim it today and if that doesnt work im just gonna switch back until i get duel cases... with duels it brings it back farther which helps the angle i guess... and a high pinion will to... but thats a ton of money...BIG MIKE on the marlin forum told me that a marlin hanger will help a little but not a drastic change... he said he didnt cut and rotate his perches either... i was going to do that but i would have to get the catser redone then.. so i guess if all else fails i might have to buy a honda car :haha:

thanks again guys

blake:awesomework:

Get ahold of Glenn on Marlin, he's known as 79coyotefrg on the site, he's also a moderator. He has a first gen, and might be able to help ya too.

The front crossmember will help lower the front mount and help with some of the pinion angle! Drill another hole 1" forward in the perch and that will move the axle back 1" and help eliminate some angle! Yeah a high pinion center would be the best, that's what I'm planning on! Get a new housing and r&p and swap it out!

Another thing thing that can be done, is to have the axle ends cut and rotated.

Thanks again guys :D I had somebody come and look at it and he said i could get away with putting 4 dgree shims under the spring pack. I was told to also drill a hole an inch forward in the spring perch???? If i drill a hole will it make the perch any weaker if it doesn't work right?

AND MY HYSTEER SHOWED UP!!!! wHOO-HOO!!!:awesomework:

Thanks,
Blakeski

Whats your current caster angle??

If you don't know what caster angle is STOP NOW AND DON'T DO **** ON YOUR FRONT END TO YOU RESEARCH IT.

All the mods you make in the front with springs, shackles, shims whatever effect your caster in the front end and that effect the way the truck drives on the road (or the trail for that matter).

Its been alluded to once that I saw in this thread, but sadly only once. Not super familiar with the in's and outs of Toys so I don't know how much monkeying they can handle before things get bad, but its a good thing to watch for when building ANY 4x4.
________
Vermont Marijuana Dispensary

Last edited:
there is 8* of caster angel you have to mess with when your doing a pinion angle... from -2 to +6 i guess... thats what i herd .... but still havent fixed it.. shimmed it... it worked..ALOT.. better than it was before... but now i mocked up my hysteer and the tie rods are right above the packs...:mad:

there is 8* of caster angel you have to mess with when your doing a pinion angle... from -2 to +6 i guess... thats what i herd .... but still havent fixed it.. shimmed it... it worked..ALOT.. better than it was before... but now i mocked up my hysteer and the tie rods are right above the packs...:mad:

the tie rod's supposed to be above the pack. Besides when the pack moves the axle should be moving as well..

nut kicking has commenced...!!! :haha: i pulled the shims... and bolted up everything the hysteer is perfect now.. ill post some pics in a few when i head out to work on it...i still havnet mounted the ifs box its just bolted in the stock hole...but i think i have only about 4 inches of up travel..?!:eeek: is that right..? will i have to put a flat arm on it or the 3/4 one?