• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Help on a duramax

BMWhittle53009

I have a '06 duramax diesel that I've had for about a year. It has just over 100 thousand miles.
I have noticed that the past few times I've cranked it that it turns over fine but takes longer than normal to crank.
Today was the first time that I tried to start it and it failed to the first couple times until I mashed the gas pedal. I
let it run and turned it off and it cranked back fine.
My first thoughts are the injectors? The truck is not driven daily. Some times sits for a week or two. It has been
maintained regularly and had not had any other problems til now. Any idea where I need to start? I work a lot but
I'm going to try and get to a shop (please give recommendations) soon. I live in Chelsea Alabama but I am willing
to travel to get quality work. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

First thing to do is check rail pressure will cranking usually takes 4500 psi to start. Everyone thinks glowplugs but in a common rail diesel in our weather you don't need them to start. Another thing they have trouble with is fuel drain back caused by a filter houshing pulling air at the hand pump. Most of the time it's inj's worn returning to much fuel and won't build enough rail pressure to start.Most of my business now days is diesel work I'm in calhoun GA. call if I can help or if i'm close enough bring it over. ask for shawn 706-629-7264 we open at 8 if I can help.

Sounds like fuel pressure is being lost
Look around and see if you see any fuel leak

Hit the primer pump a few times on the fuel head, if its not tight on the first pump you're losing prime.

Change fuel filter first.

If that don't fix it rebuild the fuel filter head. It has o rings that deteriorate and it will lose prime.

TBItoy said:
Hit the primer pump a few times on the fuel head, if its not tight on the first pump you're losing prime.

Change fuel filter first.

If that don't fix it rebuild the fuel filter head. It has o rings that deteriorate and it will lose prime.
Man would randomly do the same thing off and on for a year starting about 120k. A few months back it wouldn't crank pretty regular. I primed it till I couldn't force the primer down anymore and found bubbles coming out around the heater fitting on the housing. I am a pretty good mechanic and the orings were 30 bucks but I got the whole damn thing, ac delco brand with factory filter and water separator for 115 on ebay. Took about 5 minutes to put the whole thing on. Book said 3 hours for rebuild.

i just had to do a fuel filter head rebuild on mine.. started like yours and then started losing its prime every night so i would have to pump the prime every dam mornin to start it... kits only 15 buks or so on ebay, 6 orings i believe , easy to do, no problems since.. very common prob, anyways good luck, hope that helps thumb.gif

Good. Thanks guys. I will definitely try the fix on the filter housing and filter. I will get the seals and hopefully get a day off this weekend.

With the dual batteries, it sounds like you may have one needing replaced and is a drag on the system. Since you said you're able to start though it cranks a bit longer, then if you let it charge and then shut off it fires right back up.

If that aint it, I'd almost guarantee its that filter head. My 2006 has a little over 100k as well and I did mine the weekend before Xmas.
If you can start it, but then it quickly dies, or if you try the primer and it isnt firm when you push on it.

I bought the deluxe kit from Merchant Auto and watched below video. Had a friend that already had an assembly off a truck, so we rebuilt it and swapped them.
Only reason I went the Delux was because I've had WIF's fail on all my previous Dmax's and start leaking fuel.
http://www.merchant-automotive.com/p-762-deluxe-duramax-fuel-filter-head-rebuild-kit.aspx

I run the WIX filter and couldnt get the MA WIF delete to screw in it, so I would have been fine with just the rebuild kit for $20
http://www.merchant-automotive.com/p-783-complete-duramax-filter-head-rebuild-kit.aspx

Duramax diesel fuel filter head rebuild how to by Merchant Automotive

I got a 05 that done the same thing an it was the water sensor in the bottom of the fuel filter. It wasn't leaking enough to really drip fuel but just enough to get a little wet an suck air in the fuel system

Yep fuel filter assembly issue most likely.. the bleeder screw up top or the water separator on the bottom of the filter would be what I check first. try pumping the primer next to the bleeder screw to see if you hear any sounds of a pressure leak down. Should be an easy fix

I've got a new head assymbly that comes with new filter and water sensor on the way.
Got it through my father-in-laws employer for $118.00+ tax. Gonna try and put it on this weekend.
Thanks for all the info guys Hardline is great! Will report back with results. booyang

See my post above, I'd check batteries first. Jumping to filterhead almost seems premature considering it doesnt die after it 1st starts.

BMWhittle53009 said:
I've got a new head assymbly that comes with new filter and water sensor on the way.
Got it through my father-in-laws employer for $118.00+ tax. Gonna try and put it on this weekend.
Thanks for all the info guys Hardline is great! Will report back with results. booyang
So did you ever have to prime it?
If you did, did you see it bubbling from any of the screws on top?
If not and its the WIF in the bottom of the filter, that new head aint goin to help.
I

InDaShop. Yes sir, I actually got home early to and tried to start it and when it didn't I did prime it and saw bubbles
coming from the head. I'm sorry I forgot to add that previously. I appreciate all the help.
Also I don't have a load tester so when I get this done I will get them tested for sure.

pushrod-racing said:
Whats you guys thoughts on the cat filterhead swap?

A great idea. Better filtering and cheaper filters. What's not the love? But unless you have a lift pump, don't run the Cat filter, as it doesn't stop water. Instead, use this Donaldson filter. Make sure you buy the Nicktane adapter. Many of the others have had problems.

http://nicktane.com/osc/

Got the filter head changed with new filter and WIF and all is well again. Thanks for the help guys
Can't wait to get some wheeling done this year. Hopefully going to hale for the feb jam. Hopefully
see some of you guys on the trails.