• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Help plan a week wheeling in AL/TN

XJay

Gonna be heading to a cousin's wedding near Birmingham AL in July, figured we'd bring the buggy and spend a week wheeling in AL, TN, and/or KY on the way back home. We've done Windrock and Harlan twice before so we're familiar with the lanscape... It's pretty f'ing sweet being from Windsor, ON, Canada lol.
Would like to check out 2 or 3 parks anyway. Rig is on 43's so plenty capable but not realy looking to get too crazy as we'll be by ourselves a lot of the time.
Wouldn't even mind checking out some sweet camping spots, attractions, or state parks... maybe get a little fishing in, water would be a huge bonus as we may melt being down there in July lol. We will also have a camper and the dog with us.
Any feedback is appreciated, cheers.

Stoney lonesome is close. Then come to Anniston and hit Choccolocco on Saturday and Morris Mountain on Sunday. They are 45 minutes apart. And just over an hour from Birmingham.

Also, Mount Cheaha is the highest point in Alabama, has great camping and swimming.

Hard to beat Windrock just for the amount of available trails, especially if you plan to wheel more than two days. Great campground with hookups. Just my $.02. Wish I could make it, but I'm in the middle of a build. (Same old song and dance)

Well off the top of my head:

exit 32 in TN before the AL line, Woolys is 5 min from there

Summertown (WITC) isn't too far from 65 either

Stoney lonesome is like 10-15 min off 65 in Cullman AL area

Cool thanks guys. Ya was already kinda planning on hitting Stoney lonesome since we'll be right there. Then thinking possibly Windrock and/or Rush on our way back north.

What about any "must see" state parks or nature preserves? Would like to spend a day or 2 checking out some sights while we're down that far south. Someone told me Little River Canyon was cool. How about Fall Creek State Park? Or Smoky Mnt State Park?

Fall Creek Falls is a pretty cool park which also puts you near Golden Mountain.

Little river canyon would be worth seeing while you are here. Not a lot of amenities or anything to do there other than look, but it is gorgeous. Ive done a little travelling, not much but enough to know you wont find a place like that very often. Not as jaw dropping as the grand canyon by any means, but still an awesome work of God and nature.

If I am available....I might could give you a tour of Stony. Let me know a date sooner than later.

Cool, we'll probly check out Little River Canyon then. Any other cool spots to see?

The wedding's on Saturday July 9th so we'd be possibly heading out Stoney on Sunday the 10th for a couple days. Unfortunately most of this trip will be during the week and not the weekend.

I'd recommend Golden Mt., and AOP for crawling, and stay the hell away from the great smokies unless you like sitting in a line of cars all day!

XJay said:
Cool, we'll probly check out Little River Canyon then. Any other cool spots to see?

The wedding's on Saturday July 9th so we'd be possibly heading out Stoney on Sunday the 10th for a couple days. Unfortunately most of this trip will be during the week and not the weekend.

I am only scheduled to work every other Saturday. So, I should be able to make it out at for at least one day. :dblthumb:

Re: Re: Help plan a week wheeling in AL/TN

Eddyj said:
laughing1 now that I think about it, I pretty sure Kel sabotaged our rigs.
Only all of the vehicles broke down. And only one had to have major reconstructive surgery. Mine was just a third, shaft and bearings.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Help plan a week wheeling in AL/TN

lowbudgetjunk said:
Only all of the vehicles broke down. And only one had to have major reconstructive surgery. Mine was just a third, shaft and bearings.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

I know, I know, we'll have to try again soon

Re:

With AOP you are a stones throw from the South Cumberland St parks. A bunch of little state parks (hiking trails and water falls) spread out on top of the Mountain. Also if you call David the park manager, I'm sure you can wheel it in the middle of the week.

Sent from my S50c using Tapatalk

Awesome info and offers guys thanks! I'll definately be doing some googling on these places and check out some pics.
Not gonna lie I'm not looking forward to the heat and humidity in mid July though lol. We're not made for that stuff lol.
Bugs/mosquitoes bad that time of year?
Cheers.