• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Help upgrading my old Toyota

Dont forget install kits, its more then just swaping the gears.....

If your experienced in the ways of gear installs---can be done using original bearings....but yeah, it's usually best to go with fresh...
also, another thing to consider----get a crush sleeve eliminator kit for each 3rd...:awesomework:

8 out of ten toyota diffs can be setup with the stock bearings. If the pinion flange has remained tight its whole life and its never had a set of gears broken then it is almost a garruntee that the bearings can be inspected, cleaned and reused. (thats a 300 dollar savings)

8 out of ten bearing kits come with bearings of a lesser quality than used OEM koyo bearings anyways.

I have absolutely no problem inspecting and reusing toyota bearings.

But you will need to buy a pair of pinion seals tho.

8 out of ten toyota diffs can be setup with the stock bearings. If the pinion flange has remained tight its whole life and its never had a set of gears broken then it is almost a garruntee that the bearings can be inspected, cleaned and reused. (thats a 300 dollar savings)

8 out of ten bearing kits come with bearings of a lesser quality than used OEM koyo bearings anyways.

I love saving 300 dollars! Will chase down those seals and place my order.

UM. . . 1 for each diff right?

Thanks again.

Yup...this...But there are install kits that use Koyo's...That I do recommend if you choose to get new install kits...

Dont they make Minor and Major install kits? Basicaly the small kit should be seals and the basics and not the full bearings? or am I going nuts?

Dont they make Minor and Major install kits? Basicaly the small kit should be seals and the basics and not the full bearings? or am I going nuts?
Yup, but if you're takin the diffs to someone with the tools/know-how then seals/crush sleeve eliminator kits is all ya need...:awesomework:

I didn't see that they offer a crush eliminator. Will look for it, suggestions?

Called solid spacer.

As my own general rule of thumb I always replace the bearings. Many of the ones I do you have many miles on the bearings along with allot of pitting on race/bearing surfaces due to water/moisture that in this state we see allot of. I also practice this same thing at the professional level and yet to have any issues due to it where I have seen problems re-using bearings. Most folks also like the piece of mind knowing all rotating bearings are new when they are spending good $$.

Of the 500+ diffs I have done using timkin bearings I have only seen a couple failures due to bearings.

Crush eliminator just means any T, D & H can rebuild it. You need special tools to do a crush sleeve... properly! Backlash and preload are crucial to longevity.

Yeah, but when using a crush sleeve in an app that very well likely will see a lot of shock-loading, this can put stress on the pinion, essentially deforming the crush sleeve, which ultimately leads to bearing failure due to the sleeve's pressure being relieved....
And yes, any T,D & H with any mechanical skills can do it then...
And yep, like crashy said, they're normally called a solid pinion spacer...

I sure am glad I have the mechanical ability to judge a bearings condition and wear pattern to make the call whether its servicable life is at its end or if it has lots more life left.

Thats the difference between a "parts changer" and a mechanic.

Nobody likes a tech that throws away good parts when sometimes the replacements are of less quality that the OEM parts with normal wear.

A tapered roller bearing can be used till it wears thru the race if it is rolling a nice pattern with no pitting and the preload is kept within specs.

Yeah, but when using a crush sleeve in an app that very well likely will see a lot of shock-loading, this can put stress on the pinion, essentially deforming the crush sleeve, which ultimately leads to bearing failure due to the sleeve's pressure being relieved....
And yes, any T,D & H with any mechanical skills can do it then...
And yep, like crashy said, they're normally called a solid pinion spacer...

I have done many crush sleeves with no issues but your still not going to be as good as when you have a solid spacer. Plus there is little to no guesswork when you need to replace a leaking pinion seal with a solid spacer.

Yes cryo does help with the right materail. We test some stock axles an put them in the machine after cryoing them and it did help. Some materal like the stock output shaft didn't help. We heat treat R/P an then cryo them this realine the moleculel . We do these for drag cars for guys that were breaking them an they said they got a lot more runs out of them. Just like we do a lot of 5.29 Toyota's with the same success. No we can't test the R/P in the machine but we get good field testing reports back all the time. Of course all of our products are cryo treated also.

**** breaks....----Not to mention, should you break said part, and it's been 'altered' (cryo'd), you can pretty much kiss your warranty g'bye (if it has a warranty...)...:awesomework:

Not true. Yukon an Superior sends us R/P once an while that guys have been breaken them so we can cryo them for some of there hard driving customers. They said its OK and will not hurt the warranty.

Last edited:
Not true. Yukon an Superior sends us R/P once an while that guys have been breaken them so we can cryo them for some of there hard driving customers. They said its OK and will not hurt the warranty.

That's good info to know :awesomework:...Thanks Mister!:redneck:

All my crap is ordered, but the FedEx truck bringing all my Marlin stuff damaged it somehow and sent it back. Now I'm waiting till the second shipment comes. . . But this will happen.

Started playing with the paint.

110719_001.JPG
IMG_3450.jpg

Last edited: