• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

help with 22re

blakeski

so guys i did a motor swap in my 85, the motor runs fine at an idleand when you rev it up... when you get it out on the road under its own weight the thing is gutless, like it has no power till 3 grand on the tac, it does have 411's with 37"s but i had no problems pushing them with the old motor.. the problem im having now is just gutless. i have a pace setter header and a flowy on there... the motor is an 85 with a 3rd gen 2wd efi unit on there.. i had my buddy rewire it and we fallowed the toyota scematics to a t! so any help or info would be great

blakeski:awesomework:

Was all the EFI stuff and header on there before??? Or did you swap out this stuff when you did the motor?

it was all on there before i had the motor, i thought iv read somewhere about timing advance ...like it has no rev till it spools up??? idk im at a loss right now cuz it wont even drive on the freeway..only goes about 45mph with it to the wood!

I would recommend basics. But pulling the valve cover off and bring it to tdc wouldn't hurt as Crash stated. If its a tooth off its either going to be advanced or retarded to one way more and by the sounds of it, your more on the retarded side only getting power revved out

With your tire size and gearing it sounds about right, it should be gutless.

no it had power before as stated..

Not THAT gutless... I ran 4.10's and 38's and it wasn't all that bad. No rocket ship but it'd at least run down the freeway.

I'd start by checking the timing..

thanks thats what i think as well

Your cam timing it off one tooth...

thanks crash ill tare into it and see whats up

I would recommend basics. But pulling the valve cover off and bring it to tdc wouldn't hurt as Crash stated. If its a tooth off its either going to be advanced or retarded to one way more and by the sounds of it, your more on the retarded side only getting power revved out

alright gavin :awesomework: get to it hopefully tomo

i was also told by another guy that there might be a vaccum assit???? maybe that might ring a bell with someone???

Vacumm advance. That was on the carb trucks. Efi will have electronic advance, thats why when you time a 22re you need to ground out the diagnostic plug or your timing is going to read over advanced.

Vacumm advance. That was on the carb trucks. Efi will have electronic advance, thats why when you time a 22re you need to ground out the diagnostic plug or your timing is going to read over advanced.

WTF would you ground the connector for? That doesn't change anything when you are timing it by ear. :redneck:

I had a the same problem with my 81 22r replaced the timing chang and still did it. I replaced the ignition control box and igniter with a spare and it fixed that problem my .02