• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

help with buying a toyota

angelfly

Well its gotten 2 the point now where i have plenty of vehicles around my house that I can drive everyday if need be, so I am in the process of trying 2 sell or trade my ranger for a 79-85 toyota.

I am up in the air about tryin 2 find a stock unmolesded one and have it be a budget build or just try and buy one built already. . . .

I was looking at this one, i was thinking i would have about $2500 2 throw into parts and that shoould set me up pretty good for a cheap budget wheeler
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/1590619935.html

This one is more of just an example, I really like the truck but Im not really looking for v8power in a toyota.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/1590662993.html

Mainly Im looking for advice on what kind of rig I should be looking for, I love to wrench myself so i would perfer to build it myself. I know alot of you guys out there have done this very same thing and have a vast knowledge of toyota stuff! I want to be able to upgrade it as i go eventually into a rig like Markms or Moneys new yota:awesomework:

Thanx guys and any suggestions good or bad are greatly appreciated:beer:

That bottom one is over priced:rolleyes:

Lifted with a V8....WOOHOO:haha:
Nothin special for that kinda money.

Are you looking for something that has to be street legal??:corn:

Last edited:
I think both are over priced. Keep looking around and you should be able to find one setup good enough to wheel as is for $2500 and then make changes to your liking. If you have cash your in the drivers seat right now. People need money more than rigs now.

That bottom one is over priced:rolleyes:

Lifted with a V8....WOOHOO:haha:
Nothin special for that kinda money.

Are you looking for something that has to be street legal??:corn:

Yeah its gotta be street legal, unfortunatly I had 2 sell my tow rig that i was going 2 use, so hence the toyota search and tryin 2 find one cheap so I have money left over 2 make changes

I think both are over priced. Keep looking around and you should be able to find one setup good enough to wheel as is for $2500 and then make changes to your liking. If you have cash your in the drivers seat right now. People need money more than rigs now.

Yeah I am holding $3700 cash in my hand mostlikely will be $3500 after today but I'm hoping 2 find a good deal. ANy more help would be awesome!!!:beer:

hell for 5k id sell ya my orange one that just got a sas done to it lol

parts are easy to find so is sassing stuff find a 2 wheel drive is what id do for a budget wheeler you can pick up everythingw ay cheap including the rig and probably only be 2500 in to it with the truck

I agree i checked out an 81' that was slightly built and when I was looking at it another guy came and offered him 1300 and it was sold. I picked mine up right down the street form my parents house or $800. I was looking a couple times a day at CL and there is a couple good ones right now.

I agree i checked out an 81' that was slightly built and when I was looking at it another guy came and offered him 1300 and it was sold. I picked mine up right down the street form my parents house or $800. I was looking a couple times a day at CL and there is a couple good ones right now.

what are u searching for when u look on craigslist???? cause i only come up with rigs that are not what im really looking for or are way over priced

I think I found the one. . . I really dont even want 2 post in on here in fears of someone swooping it up before i do. . . I am picking it wednesday if everything works out as planned:cheer:

Needs a new bottom end but with the list of mods alone the truck is worth atleast double what im paying:cool:

Gonna take the body lift out and the blocks and change the springs 2 waggy springs in the front and 63chevies in the rear. Also got a set of doors at my house to:awesomework:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/1591601139.html

what do you guys think?? good deal??

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/1590619935.html
This is the one you posted in your op....I think this is something along the lines you're really after, you know, to build from!....not that blown motored/overlifted/ booty-fabbed lookin' truck you last posted....:puke: granted it has some parts on it..but still.... just my .02....

x2 on this one looks like a good start (not someone elses headache) you never know what else could be wrong with a rig that you cant start and listen to. if you are planning on doing waggy springs and 63s you will be in the same place only this one already runs :awesomework:

did you not see the rig i just got off craigslist for my son!! have a thread on it!!
its an 84 toyota,body in good shape interior not bad...
strong motor
lifted with springs,and shackles like 4 inches
new 33 interco trxus tires
custom sliders,and bumpers
winch, cb,and cd player with ipod hook up
bobbed bed
sunroof
4.88 gears
detroit in the back
front end just completly rebuilt with brand new lockright installed
came with all kinds of extra lil parts including new fuel pump,and misc.
1264864087.jpg

1264863966.jpg

1264863930.jpg

all of this for $2100 !! we looked at a few they are all over just dont jump on the first one look around. all i searched was toyota truck, or just toyota.

I think I found the one. . . I really dont even want 2 post in on here in fears of someone swooping it up before i do. . . I am picking it wednesday if everything works out as planned:cheer:

Needs a new bottom end but with the list of mods alone the truck is worth atleast double what im paying:cool:

Gonna take the body lift out and the blocks and change the springs 2 waggy springs in the front and 63chevies in the rear. Also got a set of doors at my house to:awesomework:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/1591601139.html

what do you guys think?? good deal??

that thing looks like a nightmare!!! also how strong is cramoly?? never heard of the stuff. or seen the new cramoly rear.
sorry dude but its beat to ****! its way tall,and those gears :puke:!!! if you didnt know 5.71 are junk they break just from sneezing by them.. the pinion is so small it is retarded,i dont know why they even make them...you will be into re gearing that rig soon if you buy it,and the cost of having to re gear both diffs,and fixing booty fab stuff would make me look at more rigs!! it does have some cool parts,but are you just buying for parts,or to have a rig that you can use?
why do you want chevy,and waggy springs.. if you look you can find a rig set up,and chevy/waggy springs are not any more flexier then what aftermarket companies make they are just junkyard cheapies...chevies long but usualy need a lift block.. look at a recent build with these springs,that is how they are done.. lift blocks :puke:! if you want to use waggy springs do it all the way around. another recent toy build on here used some waggy springs ,and it looks sick with no lift blocks,and it sits nice,not tall.