• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

help with my samurai

notagain

got my first samurai and i need somone that knows what there doing to help me out with a spoa lift. im in lynnwood.. so if anyone not to far away could lend me a hand it would be greatly aperaicated.

also any suggestions on the lift..? im thinknig for now to do a spoa and some 31''s i dont have the money right now to do any regearing..

Thanks.

To far away or I'd do it for you. Heres the best write up I've found so far. Most important part is to get the caster angle on the front right. Make sure that the the perch is exactly the same distance from the stock perch front and rear to keep it at the stock angle.

If you drill extra holes one inch forward on the new perch and u-bolt plate you can move the axle forward an inch and get 33's on there. Order a 1" driveline spacer (sometimes you need them sometimes you dont) just incase so your not stuck without a rig over a $22 part (spidertrax)

Brakelines: Buy 'em. If nothing else take them out of the frame mounts and zip tie them to it. They will still hold in place but if you stretch them you'll break the zip tie not the brake line. On the rear 88.5 and earlier (2 lines) you can cut the frame mount and bend it down to gain some length but its best to just buy long ones. Another cheap way is to extend them with the short lines that go from the frame to the residule valve (under battery) if you know someone with parts rigs. Also I've been told that tracker front lines are a direct(longer) fit but cant confirm that.

Steering: Look for the mercedes steering arms. I've bough 4 sets on zukicrawlers ranging from 30-50. Makes a cheap hi-steer set up and gets rid of the bumpsteer from bad akermans angle.

Shocks: stock shocks will go back on if you swap (drivers/passenger) the rear u-bolt plates. On the front you have to cut the shock mount off the spring plate and weld it back on in the right direction. They will bottom out and ride like chit but they'll get you by till you spend the $ on longer ones and make new mounts.

I live in silver lake but will be out of town for the next month. Are you planning on using a kit orbuilding the kit from scratch. I personally have only worked with kits so I am not going to say I know what I am doing.

Oh, and I have a spare set of extended brakelines you can have, didn't use the set that came with the TT kit when I did the yj spring swap.

got my first samurai and i need somone that knows what there doing to help me out with a spoa lift. im in lynnwood.. so if anyone not to far away could lend me a hand it would be greatly aperaicated.

also any suggestions on the lift..? im thinknig for now to do a spoa and some 31''s i dont have the money right now to do any regearing..

Thanks.

Lynnwood's only an hour and a half away (in a Sami!!!:haha:); I have built my own SPOA on several...takes a full day to do it properly, but can be done.

Use two passenger side tracker brakehoses for the front, the passenger side is 10" longer than stock, the drivers side tracker ones are WAY longer. Trailgear has DL spacers for $19 (saves you a couple bucks). Perches can be made pretty easily with 2x4 box tube. For lower shockmounts a piece of 2" angle and a 1/2" bolt work well.

I live in silver lake but will be out of town for the next month. Are you planning on using a kit orbuilding the kit from scratch. I personally have only worked with kits so I am not going to say I know what I am doing.

Oh, and I have a spare set of extended brakelines you can have, didn't use the set that came with the TT kit when I did the yj spring swap.

im not sure on buying a kit or making somthing up.

i dont have a welder.. so i i peice somthing together i would need somones help in doing the work.. well i would need it with buying a kit as well..

if your not going to use the brake lines ill take em. it would get me on my way. Thanks.

Lynnwood's only an hour and a half away (in a Sami!!!:haha:); I have built my own SPOA on several...takes a full day to do it properly, but can be done.

well, im looking for somone thats done it before and can do it right, im thinking about buying a kit.. but i dont have a welder...ect. and your not that far away.. my samurai is still stock..haha. would you want to help me out with it?

Well I have a welder at my house, and my dad has a good drill press at there place in lynnwood. after looking at that link I think it would be pretty easy. I have most of the tools you would need and everett metal is not to far away. If you are interested in doing it and can wait till next month I can help you out.

Be really careful welding perches on the housing. The housing is sooooo thin--you could lift it with a couple fingers--and will distort(bend) if you get it too hot. Make sure whoever does the welding knows what they're doing!:awesomework:

Be really careful welding perches on the housing. The housing is sooooo thin--you could lift it with a couple fingers--and will distort(bend) if you get it too hot. Make sure whoever does the welding knows what they're doing!:awesomework:

ive heard that.. thats why im hoping i can find somone thats done if before.. and knows what there doing. i dont want to mess up the housing.. or anything else.

I know a guy here on the island--south end, not far from the ferry--who would be able to do this for you, not free but done right by a professional. His rates are reasonable, his work top notch.

well, im looking for somone thats done it before and can do it right, im thinking about buying a kit.. but i dont have a welder...ect. and your not that far away.. my samurai is still stock..haha. would you want to help me out with it?

I can, but I won't do it for free---not to mention you'll want to do something about the steering....my recommendation on that would be the first stage of Sky's Hi-Steer(nice product); puts the drag link above the springs, eliminating bump steer...plus it gives you the option of going full hi steer in the future. The first stage of the kit runs about 185 I believe...Now I can modify the stock drag link into a Zlink, but you'll end up with some bump steer, but it's your choice...Here's a link to Sky's website page showing the kit...
http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/detaproduct.php?id=178

PM me if you'd like to discuss me doing the work...

it depends.. what parts..? i know what i can get new parts for.. i know about how long it should take to do it and whats involved.. i know what work i can do.. it really just depends on the situation.. if somone wants to thow a quote out there..cool. i can do most of the work.. im not looking to use somones shop/tools.. i have a grarge and tools.. i just dont have a welder and ive never done a samurai before.. so i am looking for some help and possibley a little guidence.. so i dont end up spending to much and/or buying the wrong crap.

im not looking for somone to do it for free.. i dont mind paying a resonable rate.. im also not looking to just drop off my rig and then come pick it up when its done.. im looking for someone that will help me out and make sure everything goes good and somone to weld everything up. i dont mind paying for somones time any supplys.

Last edited:
man.. i might just go with the rocky-road 6'' spoa bolt on kit with brake lines.. d-line spacer.. z link.. everything to get rolling for 539.. and i can do all the work myself.. which i perfer...then i can just have the pearches welded in a few spots to keep everything inline once im done..

thanks fo the input everybody. hopfull ill get somthing going soon and get a buil thread started with some pics.

:beer:

man.. i might just go with the rocky-road 6'' spoa bolt on kit with brake lines.. d-line spacer.. z link.. everything to get rolling for 539.. and i can do all the work myself.. which i perfer...then i can just have the pearches welded in a few spots to keep everything inline once im done..

thanks fo the input everybody. hopfull ill get somthing going soon and get a buil thread started with some pics.

:beer:

I an NOT fond of Rocky Road's quality of stuff...watched their shock mounts snap in two on the first run out....also the fit and finish sucked on another buddy's who did just this, bought their SPOA kit. Things may have changed in the last couple yrs, but Just an FYI...

I've heard nothing but bad things about RRO. Mainly their service. Order something and wait months to get it and other thing get shipped right away. I choose not to find out for myself.

Latest posts